As neighboring districts close, CISD campuses open today to students

Wintry precipitation possible heading into next week

Tracy Tran

Coppell High School students work on a geographical map assignment during the second period of the Coppell outdoor adventures class with coach Bill Parker in H107. Due to the cold weather today, a lot of classes have moved to learning indoors. Photo by Tracy T.

Avani Kashyap, Daily News/Assignment Editor

Editor’s note: This story has been updated. 

At around 5 a.m. today, Coppell ISD announced that despite freezing temperatures and the possibility of freezing rain, all schools will remain open until further notice.

The decision comes as a surprise to many as nearby school districts such as Irving ISD, Carrollton Farmers-Branch ISD, Arlington ISD, Plano ISD and more have cancelled all classes for the day.

CISD director of communications Amanda Simpson revealed that the choice to keep campuses open relied on the fact that roads in Coppell were drivable with little to no ice.

“It just depended on the conditions on the road in Coppell,” Simpson said. “At this time, I’m not aware of any activities being canceled, but things can change and as soon as those change, we send an alert out to their community. “

Currently, both in-person and virtual learners are continuing the school day as scheduled. CISD has warned families that there may be delays in bus services, and bus locations can be monitored through the Durham Bus Tracker App.

“I was surprised when we didn’t have a bad weather day today because the surrounding school districts did,” Coppell High School nurse Beth Dorn said. “However, on my way into school today, I didn’t run across any wet patches at all, although I’m sure they’re out there.”

Dorn recommends dressing warmly as the temperatures are below freezing, and it is possible to get frostbite if not dressed appropriately. 

Although there have been less in-person students in school this year, Dorn said that wearing masks and practicing social distancing have reduced the number of non COVID-19 related cold symptoms she has seen.

“Being out in the cold doesn’t create a virus, but people get more sick in the winter because they’re indoors and around other people,” Dorn said. “This year, with the masks that we’re having to wear, I have not seen flus or colds that are not COVID-19 related.”

Temperatures are expected to drop throughout the weekend with record low temperatures in the single digits on Monday with a 50% chance of snow as well. As of now, Monday remains a weather day holiday, but if schools are closed on Tuesday, there is an additional weather day on April 2 that the district could exercise in the event of school closures.

“I really wanted it to snow, but Texas weather is so [unpredictable] that it didn’t come as a shock that it didn’t snow,” CHS senior Aarushi Gupta said. “I wish school was canceled because it might be unsafe. I hope it snows on Tuesday, because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity in Texas.”

In the event that school is closed or delayed, a message to students and faculty will be sent before 6 a.m the day of through social media, the district website, the CISD voicemail system and local radio and television stations.

Follow Avani @AvaniKashyap03 and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.