Manandhar siblings reaching goals: Duo donating soccer cleats to Nepal, mental awareness campaign (with video)

Kyah Jones

Coppell+High+School+senior+Binivaa+Manandhar+and+2017+CHS+l+graduate+and+co-founder+Bishesh+Manandhar+organize+cleats+and+soccer+balls+outside+of+their+home+on+Saturday.+Soccer+For+Nepal+was+established+in+2016+after+the+Manandhar+siblings+realized+the+dangers+the+lack+of+cleats+can+cause+as+children+play+barefoot+in+Nepal.++

Kyah Jones

Coppell High School senior Binivaa Manandhar and 2017 CHS l graduate and co-founder Bishesh Manandhar organize cleats and soccer balls outside of their home on Saturday. Soccer For Nepal was established in 2016 after the Manandhar siblings realized the dangers the lack of cleats can cause as children play barefoot in Nepal.

Anette Varghese, Staff Writer

It was during his sophomore year while playing on the varsity soccer team that now 2017 Coppell High School graduate Bishesh Manandhar realized how fortunate he was to play with cleats on his feet and on clean turf. So he decided to give back.

Nepal is a developing South Asian country that does not have access to the same resources that are easily accessible in America; for example, cleats may not be as accessible in countries like Nepal.  Therefore most recreational soccer is played barefoot, heightening the chances of injuries as a result of the combination of playing without proper footwear and trash-littered playing grounds. 

This situation inspired Bishesh and his younger sister CHS senior and varsity soccer player Binivaa Manandhar to create Soccer for Nepal in 2015, a non-profit organization donating cleats and other equipment to the less fortunate clubs and communities in Nepal. 

“Even though the difference we’re making is small, I believe we can really affect and enhance their lives,” Bishesh said. “Hopefully we’re able to give cleats to one kid who feels lost, and they find enjoyment in soccer.” 

Binivaa became director in 2017 when Bishesh graduated from CHS and moved on to the University of Texas at Dallas. Binivaa recognized a major gender gap in Nepal. Girls were discouraged from taking part in sports. Motivated to change this trend, she decided to direct her donations to supply girls teams in Nepal to encourage girls to explore soccer. 

“As a brown girl who is usually the only brown person on the field, I know [what] it’s like to be discriminated against because of my [skin] color. Similarly, in Nepal, girls are discriminated against simply because they’re a girl,” Binivaa said. “Giving other [girls] the resources they need to follow their passion is my passion in life and that’s all I want in donating.” 

They have currently donated more than 500 cleats to all age groups, genders and areas all around Nepal. 

In the summer, Bishesh took up a new challenge to spread awareness and educate the public about mental health. In April, he announced his new brand of Augmented Reality apparel called ShareHealth shirts. What began as a simple scannable QR code that shared positive news stories and mental health information in AR branched into a customizable service. Consumers can upload their own augmented reality content and have it printed onto shirts and sweatshirts. 

“As a college student studying technology, I wanted to create something that was new and different, something that has never been done before and has potential,” Bishesh said. “I focus on the mental health side, where [10%] of each sale goes to supporting the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and NoKidHungry, who delivers free meals to kids.”

Consumers can have their clothing scanned to show a slideshow of photos and videos showcasing memories, promotional videos, funny, inspirational, educational content, personal artwork, music videos, favorite songs and cultural content. Once scanned, consumers will be redirected to a website with a built in camera. By scanning the shirt again through the redirected browser, users will be able to see a  specific augmented reality message.

“I liked the idea that I could so easily lift someone’s mood or give them something to look at while still being very discrete,” said prior customer Maaha Sakhia, a student at UTD. “I really liked the interactions after scanning someone’s shirt, where you talk with them about it and get the opportunity to meet someone new.”

Got any old cleats? Soccer for Nepal

How about supporting a good cause and getting some AR apparel?  ShareHealth shirts

Follow Anette (@AnetteVarghese) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.