Hassman lifts Cowgirls into overtime for a second district win

Angelina Liu

Coppell junior power forward India Howard shoots a jump shot against Plano West sophomore forward Khamryn Hopkins. Coppell defeated Plano West in overtime, 66-65.

Torie Peck, Staff Writer

After a tight game, Coppell defeated Plano West, 66-65, in overtime on Tuesday night in the CHS Arena. 

In overtime, Coppell (9-11, 2-7 in District 6-6A) and Plano West (6-14, 3-6 in District 6-6A) were neck and neck, with Coppell down by two. It capitalized off a Plano West foul which sent Coppell junior center India Howard to the free throw line where she tied the game 58-58 with 1:58 remaining. This was all Coppell needed to take the lead and bring home its second district win.

“That was one of the best games we played,” Howard said. “The win was in the hustle. Even just the small points of wanting the ball added up together for the win. We did a lot wrong but our effort and energy kept us in the [game].”

Coppell was brought into overtime after a tight battle for the lead in the second half. With Coppell down by two and 12 seconds remaining in the game, a Plano West foul on Coppell senior guard Waverly Hassman changed everything. Hassman stepped up to the free throw line and tied the game, sending Coppell into overtime.

“Those free throws that Hassman made were at the perfect time, she came clutch,” Howard said. “[They] put us in overtime and gave us the chance to win.”

Coppell had a rocky start to the game. Coppell conceded 10 points to Plano West before making its first basket. The Cowgirls trailed behind Plano West by nearly ten points throughout the first half.

It wasn’t until Coppell sophomore guard Allyssa Potter shot a three pointer with 2:31 remaining in the second quarter that the Cowgirls had their first edge in the game. Potter tied the game 24-24, giving Coppell the momentum it needed to rally against Plano West. 

“We didn’t play well the first half, our defense was shaky. After the half, we came out with more energy,” Hassman said. 

Coppell reinstilled what it practiced and came out with more energy to rally against Plano West during the second half. With two minutes left and Coppell down by two, Hassman’s free throw changed the game’s outcome.

“Our biggest challenge was pushing through the rough patches and keeping our energy,” Coppell sophomore forward Juliana Lamendola said. “We did that really well [today], it’s something we’ve been struggling with and finally got out of.”

The Cowgirls host Flower Mound Marcus Friday at 6:30 p.m. in the CHS Arena.

Follow Torie (@torielpeck) and @sidekick sports on Twitter.