Coppell looks to regain winning ways against McKinney Boyd

Angelina Liu

Coppell senior midfielder Alex Salvo dribbles around Frisco Rock Hill freshman midfielder Ashton Medina on Jan. 9 at Buddy Echols Field. Coppell plays McKinney Boyd at 7 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field.

Anjali Krishna, Co-Sports Editor

In just one weekend, Coppell dropped it’s 3-1 preseason record to 3-3-1. Of around 50 shots taken, the Cowboys didn’t score once. 

“Throughout the preseason, our coach has really emphasized not getting too high or too low on wins because it is preseason, some games we don’t have our best 11 out there or we know going into games other teams don’t have their best 11 out there either,” Coppell senior defender Colin MacDonald said. 

Next up for Coppell tonight is McKinney Boyd at 7 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field, where they expect to face one of the area’s strongest teams. Playing around with its formation, Coppell will play a 3-5-2 formation with wingbacks, as opposed to the traditional 4-3-3.

“A 3-5-2 with defenders is something teams don’t see often and it throws them off when there’s defenders running 50 yards up the field and getting [the ball] across,” MacDonald said.

Yet to have its full starting lineup, and after Coppell losing a few to injury this past weekend, Coppell’s bench has stepped up to replace key players.

“The guys on the bench are itching to play, they just have to step into the role. I told these guys that they had to prove something, prove that they deserve to start and show that with your energy,” MacDonald said. “Those guys did a good job of that and we’re going to continue playing next man up.”

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.