Cowgirls host Plano West in district matchup

Olivia Cooper

Coppell senior forward Chloe Hassman passes against Plano East at the CHS Arena on Friday. Coppell lost, 35-33, to Plano East in its first home game of 2021.

Torie Peck, Staff Writer

After a 46-27 loss against Plano (12-4, 5-3 in District 6-6A) on Friday night, Coppell (8-11, 1-7) in District 6-6A) plays Plano West (6-13, 3-5 in District 6-6A) tomorrow night at the CHS Arena with tipoff at 6:30 p.m.

“In the Plano game, we were turning the ball over too much,” Coppell senior guard Emma Sherrer said. “We played really well, but in the end we gave them too many possessions that could’ve been points or shots taken by [Coppell]. It was really challenging, it felt like we gave them the win instead of making them work for it”

The Cowgirls are practicing fundamentals such as turnovers, shooting and using their primaries in order to prepare for Plano West.

A key player to watch is Plano West sophomore point guard Monica Marsh. Marsh is ranked top 5 in Texas for free throws made, with 86 over the course of this season.

“We know that [Marsh] is [Plano West’s] biggest threat,” Sherrer said. “We need to play great defense against [Marsh], she’s known to go off on third points. We need to shut them down and [prevent] any big drives.”

Follow Torie (@torielpeck) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.