Shop Coppell Giveaway encouraging community involvement

Pranati Kandi

Local Diner in Old Town Coppell serves customers on Tuesday at 25% capacity to slow down the spread of COVID-19. The City of Coppell has been urging its citizens to shop local with “Be Vocal, Shop Local” signs throughout the city.

Nanditha Nagavishnu, Staff Writer

In the past year, measures against a worsening COVID-19 scene such as social distancing restrictions, closures and capacity limitations on stores and restaurants led to some local businesses struggling for financial balance.

With the number of COVID-19 patients rising in the North Texas area, further restrictions have been effectuated in Dallas. In Coppell, the pandemic has already precipitated permanent closures of small businesses such as Frost Cupcakery, which shut in July because of “sales have[ing] dropped drastically.” American Tea & Coffee closed their store in April and have moved to online retail. Local bakery ZenZero closed in July.

The City of Coppell and the Coppell Chamber of Commerce are taking initiatives to encourage residents to shop at local businesses and bring awareness to the city’s small firms. Specifically, the Shop Coppell Giveaway is a prize draw for people who spend $200 or more at local businesses and restaurants with the chance of earning a $200 gift card to a Coppell business. It spans until the end of December. Residents can safely support local businesses by buying online or through curbside pickups and submitting receipt photos to enter the draw.

Other initiatives also include promotions of Small Business Saturday, banners with the slogan “Be Vocal, Shop Local” set up in various areas of the city, the Buy in Coppell Bingo and a virtual business scavenger hunt.

“We’re just trying to encourage our residents to go out and become familiar with [businesses] here,” Coppell Director of Community Development Mindi Hurley said. “The giveaway would prompt people to buy local when one could find [the same item in another store]. You’d be surprised how many times you hear a resident say, ‘I didn’t realize we had that business in town,’ when you [suggest] them a store.”

Just getting people to trust you and your business is important.

— Frank Brightwell

Coppell Taekwondo Academy opened in 2010 and has since grown to 400 students. Its co-founder and 2001 Coppell High School graduate Kevin Nevels believes that community involvement has been a vital catalyst for the academy’s growth. In January, Nevels stepped up as chairman of the board after being a member of the chamber for 10 years with the intent of using his experience to further serve the local business community.

“It’s very easy for people to go out of Coppell, so we have to be competitive with our pricing [while making] sure we’re providing services that the people of Coppell are looking for,” Nevels said. “The biggest thing that hurts Coppell is that because our land values are higher, sometimes there comes higher prices in [local businesses] and restaurants. I want to say that even if you pay $1 extra for something, it really supports local businesses. It’s going to keep tax money in Coppell, and if one can shop local, they’re going to keep that money in our community.”

A Be Vocal, Shop Local sign is displayed on S. Denton Tap Road on Tuesday, as the result of a push by the City of Coppell to shop at local businesses. The city holds events such as Small Business Saturdays and Shop Coppell Giveaway as a way to provide citizens with more of an incentive to shop local. Photo by Pranati Kandi

The decrease of direct community involvement in local businesses during the pandemic is a reason for their economic strain. Foot-traffic is especially important for small businesses to sufficiently survive, and fears regarding sanitation and social distancing discourage in-person shopping. The Retrofit grants for Coppell businesses, a part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act known as the CARES Act, funded equipment and changes of business spaces to comply with COVID-19 social distancing and sanitation requirements and to consequently provide a safer and more secure environment for local customers.

The “Takeout Thursday” parade in April was also an incentive to increase business sales while complying with pandemic regulations.

“I’d say just getting people to trust you and your business is important [for a customer base],” Local Diner owner Frank Brightwell said. “At this point now, it’s trust a business needs. [For customers], it’s ‘do you trust going through a drive-through and trust going inside and sitting down?’ After 30 years, we’ve built pretty good trust in the town.”

Local Diner was established in 1989. Surrounded by industries and businesses, the diner’s lunch occupation was supported by workers in the nearby community. Because of the increase of at-home workers, Local Diner has had to deal with a loss of business in that sphere. Here, they appreciate the continued support of residents who have been regular customers.

“Without the community, we probably would not be able to survive,” Local Diner co-owner Janet Bradley said. “We’re grateful to have a customer base that, even though they feel uncomfortable eating outside in the pandemic, try to support us. Local businesses really appreciate their community.”

To find and buy in local Coppell businesses, you can refer to the city’s list of small businesses.

Follow Nanditha Nagavishnu (@nanditha__n) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.