Seniors seek jobs by pool with lots of responsibilities

By Gaby Moran
    Video by Kelly Marshall

As summer begins and students start to search for any type of jobs to get a little cash, a select few decide to find a job not only allowing them to hang out by the pool all day but teaches them life skills.

“I have always loved the idea to work in the water and being a lifeguard not only allows me to be by a pool the whole time but to learn techniques, like CPR, that will be with me my whole life,” senior Hannah Sandle said.

Many CHS seniors like Kelly Winkle, Vinny Munia, Ben Coggins, Teddy Johnson and Sandle have decided to become lifeguards. This will all be there first year to be lifeguards besides Sandle whom it will be her second. Unlike other jobs, becoming a lifeguard is much more difficult road.  

“This job is definitely not a relaxing job,” Coggins said. “It forces you to be aware of your surroundings and puts the lives of others in your hands.”

In order to become a lifeguard, some of the necessities is the people interested must be in good, healthy shape and strong swimmers. Then, each person must log in 32 hours of classroom time and practice at the pool.

The Coppell Aquatic Center is one of the many places students can be certified to become a lifeguard. All these seniors went here for their training.

“The training seemed to never end but it is all needed,” Johnson said. “It teaches you what you need to do in order to be ready to take on the responsibility.”

After finishing the course and practice time, the trainees must pass several tests. For example, some must do written tests about the techniques, retrieving weights from the bottom of the pool, performing CPR on dummies and, finally, must “rescue” a person who pretends to be in need of help.

“While this training is allowing us to have a job this summer, it will be able to go with us for many more summers to come and in need of a job,” Munia said.

All of the seniors have just finished their training just in time for the summer season to begin. A few will be working at the Aquatic Center or the YMCA while others will take their training to be lifeguards at summer camps around Texas.  

“Being a certified lifeguard will allow me not just to work at the YMCA but also at Camp Longhorn for three weeks this summer,” Winkle said.

Being a lifeguard will put much pressure into their lives. While at work, they must be aware at all times how many are in the pool and what they are all doing. They are responsible for all the lives in the pool, no matter what age, and if anything happen under their watch.

“It’s puts a lot of pressure on you but someone needs to do the job in order to protect people for drowning,” Sandle said.

All the seniors plan on lifeguarding for this summer and probably a couple more after this year.

1