Age diversity assists girl lacrosse as they score state title

Story by Mary Whitfill

Video by Austin Evans

Coppell girls lacrosse state champions took home the gold last week and are willing to attribute most of their athletic success to the age diversity of their team. After years of playing together, the team will be apart for the first time as their only senior, Sarah Ditto, goes off to college.

During lacrosse season, the girls practice together two to three times a week, have one or two games a week and meet for team dinners twice a month.  They spend their weekends together and are forced to help each other through the emotional and physical ups and downs of being on a sports team.

“I feel closer to these girls than to my own family,” sophomore Ina Prevalsky said. “I practice and play with them, and they are who I hang out with the most outside of school. We do everything together.”

The age difference has also helped the team grow athletically and to become better players.

“I try really hard to teach these girls everything I know about the sport,” junior Brittany Rutherford said. “When I leave next year, they have to create a legacy that I will always be a part of.”

This year, the lacrosse team only has one person who will be jetting off the college next year. Senior Sarah Ditto will attend Texas A&M in the fall, leaving her team mates behind for the first time.  

“This team was my reason for getting up so early in the morning, and working so hard every day in practice,” Ditto said. “I feel like I’m losing every single one of my best friends.”  

Even though the team will be apart for the first time, Ditto says that she was extremely happy to leave behind such a ledged in her last year.

“We won state for the first time,” Ditto said. “That is such an amazing accomplishment and I’m so glad these are the people I got to share it with.”

Even though they are losing one of their most valuable players, the remainder of the team feels confident that they will be able to make up for her absence in the new players they have acquired.

“The new freshmen are amazing,” sophomore Hannah Rucker said. “They have more talent than I imagined they would and they are already a part of this new family.”

The 2010-2011 girls’ lacrosse team is one to watch as they attempt to pave the road to yet another state championship.   The girls will continue to bond and grow close, welcoming their new members with open arms.

Original Video – More videos at TinyPic

1