Walker, Castranova crowned homecoming royalty

Coppell+High+School+seniors+Maggie+Castranova+and+Ryan+Walker+are+named+homecoming+queen+and+king+on+Friday+at+Buddy+Echols+Field.+The+homecoming+court+and+crowning+took+place+at+halftime+during+the+football+game+against+Plano+West.+

Sally Parampottil

Coppell High School seniors Maggie Castranova and Ryan Walker are named homecoming queen and king on Friday at Buddy Echols Field. The homecoming court and crowning took place at halftime during the football game against Plano West.

Avani Kashyap, Daily News/Assignment Editor

“It took a second to process and I just stood there,” Coppell High School senior Maggie Castranova said. “Then it clicked.”

She had just been crowned homecoming queen.

During halftime on Friday night during CHS’s homecoming game against Plano West at Buddy Echols Field, Castranova and senior Ryan Walker were crowned 2020 homecoming king and queen.

“It wasn’t really anything I campaigned for so it’s nice that my friends thought to nominate me and represent them,” Walker said. “Being able to represent the senior class like that, it means a lot to me.”

The other senior nominees included Sonia Bhattacharyya, Martin Hightower, Febechi Nwaiwu, Anushri Saxena, Shray Shine, Shelby Shultz, Ryan Tompkins and Mackenzie Myers.

Both Castranova and Walker were surprised to win.

“I posted about it in a couple social media places, but nothing too crazy,” Walker said. “I don’t know how much I won the vote by, but I assume that it was pretty close.”

To Castranova, who had never envisioned herself as being on the court when she was younger, receiving the crown was an unexpected, but gratifying way to reflect on her senior year.

“It’s always something that I watched in movies when I was growing up, and I never thought that when I got to high school, that would be me,” Castranova said. “I was really excited, and I’m definitely going to look back on it when I get older.”

Follow Avani @AvaniKashyap03 and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.