Sophomore students crocheting for good

Nandini Muresh

New Tech High @ Coppell sophomore Payton Hoenig and Coppell High School sophomore Reagann Stolar sell handmade products for their business, Coppell Crafted, on Saturday at Old Town Coppell. Stolar and Hoenig started Coppell Crafted as a hobby and developed it to help the city by donating a portion of profits to various charities and movements. Photo by Nandini Muresh

Torie Peck, Staff Writer

New Tech High @ Coppell sophomore Payton Hoenig and CHS sophomore Reagann Stolar launched their company, Coppell Crafted, after Hoenig created a scrunchie based off of a how-to video on YouTube. 

Stolar, realizing they could take handmade creations to a whole new level, brought the idea of Coppell Crafted to light. Through lots of hard work, creativity and passion, the girls have built a successful small-business and donate a portion of their profits to charities.

Hoenig and Stolar started their business in May with the help of family and friends.

“Both of our parents helped and guided us through creating a small business and getting the word out.” Hoenig said. “We had a bunch of friends who were really supportive, bought products and told people about [Coppell Crafted].”

They began their launch via Instagram, their website, coppellcrafted.com, and advertising on social media. However, as happens with many startups, there were a few bumps in the road.

“We created a website and built [it in] about a month and a half.” Stolar said. “But, when we finally launched our website it crashed. [The] crash [happened] the day after we launched. We then made a new [website] in two days.”

Coppell Crafted’s social media accounts contain photos of their products, special giveaways, videos and information about upcoming events. Hoenig and Stolar have posted images of their modeled products with the help of their friends: CHS junior Abby Hendricks, CHS sophomore Grace Kates, CHS sophomore Belen Campos and CHS9 student Aria Jumas.

Along with running their company, Hoenig and Stolar are involved in many extracurriculars. Both girls participate in Taekwondo at Coppell Taekwondo Academy. Hoenig has been in Taekwondo for seven years and is a third degree black belt. She is also in DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America), YAFF (Youth Action Film Festival) and Yoga Club. Stolar has participated in Taekwondo for nine years and is a third degree black belt. She is also involved in theatre and golf.

“It’s hard [to balance my schedule],” Hoenig said.” “It’s hard balancing classes, clubs and school.The small business isn’t super stressful – it’s a creative outlet – something to work on in my freetime that I enjoy doing.”

Stolar and Hoenig sell scrunchies to donate to Christian Charities USA, ASPCA and Doctors Without Borders. Hoenig and Stolar chose these organizations to allow for a broad coverage of charitable missions. As dog owners, ASPCA became a clear choice. They also chose Doctors Without Borders due to the recent COVID-19 Pandemic to help those on the front lines and Christian Charities Association, which helps many charities and spreads Christianity throughout the world.

By selling charm scrunchies, the girls donate money to these charities. For each of these scrunchies bought, the company donates a dollar to the corresponding organization. The company donates monthly to the charities. 

“[Hoenig and Stolar] have great character,” Campos said. “I think it’s good what they’re doing – donating some of [their] profits. Whatever you buy from them, you know you’re putting your money to a good cause.”

Follow Torie Peck (@torielpeck) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.