School board meeting tonight to discuss GPA issues

by Divya Kumar
News Editor

As the issue of GPA and rank continues to be a bitter struggle between AP and IB students, the problem has been called into question by the entire district. This matter is set to be discussed at tonight’s school board meeting, set to take place at 7:30 p.m. in the Vonita White Administration Building.

For weeks before this meeting, Director of Advanced Academics Todd Kettler had held separate GPA councils for both IB and AP students. At each of these respective meetings, students would share their concerns – AP students arguing that IB students had an unfair advantage and boost in GPA, and IB students arguing back against these claims.

All proceedings at these meetings were then written out by Kettler in the form of a letter to distribute to the board, in order to aid them with the decision. At this meeting, along with the letter, speakers are set to discuss for and against IB. Some argue that some IB classes – such as the standard level Spanish and Math classes – should be weighted as Pre-AP courses rather than holding equivalent AP weight.

Though not allowed to participate in the discussion, a number of IB kids are planning on attending the meeting in order to show their silent support for the program.

This issue, which has been argued about since the beginning of the school year, is most likely not going to be resolved directly at this meeting. However, the school board does look forward to doing all they can to alleviate the situation. If all goes well, issues should be resolved by the next school year.

In order to learn more about this meeting or issue, or to take part in it, visit the Vonita White building.

2