Coppell defeats Highland Park in rainy weather

By Andy Tabor

The Cowboys were big winners Friday night at Buddy Echols Field against Highland Park as Coppell improved to 3-0 with a 41-20 victory over the favored Scots.

The game started out sloppy after a rain delay pushed game time back an hour.  Rain steadily poured down on the players consistently throughout the night making routine plays such as the center to quarterback exchange a major ordeal.  Highland Park had five fumbles during the wet game resulting in two turnovers.

“The first quarter was a little out of sorts,” sophomore tackle Jake Williams said. “After that we really settled down and started to play our game.”

Along with home field advantage, the rain helped the Cowboys contain the high octane Scots offense to only 20 points.  Senior free safety Nic Johnston had a huge game with countless big hits and two interceptions.

“We played really well tonight and are glad to get the win,” Johnston said. “We have a lot to work on with coverage in the secondary but we will be ready for next game.”

With two minutes before the half, the Scots had scored what seemed to be the tying touchdown.  However, the holder fumbled the snap then threw an interception to Junior Branden Mullins, who scored and earned two points for the Cowboys.  Tacking on another touchdown, Coppell led 22-13 over the Scots at halftime.

Coming out in the third quarter, the Cowboys were as sluggish as the weather barely holding on to a two point lead 22-20.  The fourth quarter was a completely different story with the Cowboys scoring 19 points and busting the game open with two long touchdown passes from quarterback, Hayden Hawk and a three yard run from junior running back Cam McDaniel.  Before the game, McDaniel was definitely focused on exploiting Highland Park.

“I’m not nervous, just anxious to get out there and play,” McDaniel said. “I can’t wait to get out there and prove our team is for real.”

Senior captain Jeff Johnson had a career day with seven catches for 187 yards and one touchdown.  On the other side of the field, senior receiver Taylor Goebel caught two touchdowns to go along with five receptions for 64 yards.

The next game is Friday at Weatherford at 7:30 p.m.