Concert on the Lawn creates high spirits of honoring Old Town

Fiona Koshy

Last night, the band Time Machine sings covers of songs at the Coppell Concert on the Lawn in the Square at Old Town Coppell. Songs it performed ranged from “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars to “La Vida es un Carnaval” by Celia Cruz.

Gracie Blackwell, Staff Writer

There is almost never a time when Old Town Coppell is not buzzing with energy. The small town feel of Old Town represents the historical aspects of the the origins of Coppell.

Last night, the Third annual Coppell Concert on the Lawn took place at the Square of Old Town Coppell to celebrate Old Town’s anniversary.

The lawn in the Old Town Square was filled with families, friends, dogs and couples from all over town, coming out to have a enjoyable Friday night filled with live music, art, food and games.

“[The event is] everyone from Coppell coming together to celebrate and spend time with family and friends,” Coppell High School senior Gabriela Villa Nova Silva said. “It’s a good place to spend time because it’s outside and [everyone] is relaxing.”

The band Time Machine performed on the stage on the lawn, covering a variety of songs all the way from “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars to “La Vida es un Carnaval” by Celia Cruz, in honor of Cinco de Mayo.

The liveliness of Time Machine elicited care-free dancing and singing from the energetic crowd. A group of children danced the night away directly in front of the stage, showing their true excitement for the live music.

“This event is really fun, the ambience and everything is so lively and there’s good music playing,” CHS junior Ishita Khatwad said. “There’s kids playing ball and I just really like the feel of the whole place.”

Children could be seen in all areas of the square, playing giant Jenga, cornhole and Mega 4 in a Row to splashing in the Main Street Interactive Water Fountain and getting free henna ink on their hands.

“It’s nice seeing the little kids run around and have fun and whenever I do the henna it’s cute to see them get excited,” CHS senior and henna ink volunteer Rohina Aslam said.

Various vendors were placed under the Coppell Farmer’s Market pavilion, allowing for food and drinks available for everyone to purchase. Vendors included Dodie’s, Bill’s World Famous Lemonade from the Local Diner, Texas Petite Pies and Frost Cupcakery.

“The turnout for the event is excellent,” Frost Cupcakery owner David Wortman said. “[There is] perfect weather, a great band, a lot of fun tonight.”

The high-spirited event allowed anyone and everyone to enjoy a night out in Coppell. Visitors Shelly Reynolds and Morgan Pasley, who is disabled, came to the event because of the inclusivity.

“I can’t find any activities for disabled children or disabled people. It’s very important to my heart [that we include disabled people] in Coppell,” Reynolds said. “The music of this outside event, the families [is great], and I just think that we need to love our disabled people more.”

The night ended with lots laughter and smiles from the community, showcasing the importance of how Old Town Coppell brings people together.