Jasso announces departure from CISD after six years as principal

Coppell High School Principal Mike Jasso announces during a student media press conference he is leaving his position after the 2016-2017 school year. Jasso has accepted an offer to serve as executive director for secondary instruction, operations and leadership in Richardson ISD next year.

Meara Isenberg

Meara Isenberg

Sakshi Venkatraman, Executive News Editor

After six years as principal of Coppell High School and 11 years on the campus in total, Principal Mike Jasso is leaving Coppell ISD at the end of the school year.

Jasso will remain in his role as principal until the conclusion of his 2016-2017 contract in June before assuming his new position as executive director for secondary instruction, operations and leadership at Richardson ISD. However, he is beginning the transition process in the next few weeks.

“My love for this campus is still as strong as it’s ever been,” Jasso said. “My decision to leave to pursue another job is not indicative that I don’t love everything about Coppell High School. In life, things change and you have to take advantage of opportunities.”

Jasso said he spent three to four weeks considering the Richardson ISD position before ultimately deciding to accept it, around a week ago.

From 2000 to 2005, Jasso served as an assistant principal at CHS. After leaving to work as principal of a Birdville ISD middle school, followed by Haltom High School, Jasso returned to CHS in 2012 as principal.

CISD is currently in the early stages of selecting a replacement to fill his shoes. While district officials have not yet begun interviewing potential candidates, administration will soon release information to CHS staff about the procedures involved, including meetings to “create a profile of what we want to look for in the next principal”, according to Jasso.

Considering his history on the campus, Jasso will leave with many positive memories.

“The overwhelming message that I would like to put out is simply ‘thank you’,” Jasso said. “There are very few places left in education like Coppell High School. People love and respect each other; we have a total commitment to high level of education. I have loved this campus ever since the day I set foot here in 2000. That’s why leaving is an incredibly difficult decision. But it’s the right decision right now for my family and I.”