• Dr. Nicole Jund has been named Coppell High School's new principal.

• Jill Popelka has formally resigned from her Place 2 seat on the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees

• Coppell Student Media will resume regular content at the start of the 2017-2018 school year. Have a great summer, CHS!

CHS9 Principal, bus switch to Durham School Services announced at board meeting

Meara Isenberg, Coppell High School

The Coppell ISD Board of Trustees meeting Tuesday was held on an irregular date, but ran smoothly, with a new CHS9 Principal announcement and the vote to switch from Dallas County School buses to Durham School Services. 

The district used the meeting to announce the hiring of Grapevine High School associate principal of academics Cody Koontz as the principal of the CHS9 freshman campus set to open fall 2018.

“We’re really excited about having him join our team,” Assistant superintendent for administration Brad Hunt said. “He comes to Coppell with a wealth of experience, he did an excellent job during the interview process, we’re thrilled that he’s going to be a Coppell Cowboy.”

Assistant superintendent for business and support services Sid Grant recommended terminating the contract with DCS and awarding the student transportation services contract to DSS beginning the 2017-2018 year.

“Looking at the potential to meet the needs of our changing demographics, changing population, growing population of Coppell ISD, we found it very important to look at some other opportunities beyond what we are currently doing,” Grant said.

The main reasons for the switch were identified as a growing student population, chronic bus driver shortage and service issues, and the need for better parent communication tools.

“We all wanted to be sure that the potential bidders truly understood our school district, that they understood our community, that safety comes first, and as part of that… our kids get to school on time and that they are picked up and taken home at a reasonable time,” Grant said.

The two items passed 6-0, with the contract with DCS to terminate August 1. Another item regarding purchasing the student bus fleet from DCS, was pulled to be considered at the next meeting.

The new contract with DSS offers an “aggressive driver hiring, safety training, and retention program” according to Grant, will include 10-15 more drivers than usual to drive regular and special education routes, and will cost approximately $500,000-550,000 more than the contract with DCS.

All existing bus drivers who agree to switch to Durham will receive a raise and sign on bonus.

“This difference is accountable in the additional value added items: paying 10-15 more drivers and support staff, the permanent full time staff at the service center to support our routes, the maintenance of the vehicles, as well as the additional training and sign on bonuses, as well as the raises,” Grant said.

Coppell High School Principal Mike Jasso recognized 27 national merit finalists.
The PSAT is taken by 1.6 million students, of which 50,000 move on for recognition, and then the 15,000 students with the highest scores of those become finalists.