“Clay Phillips Appreciation Day” named for retiring City Manager at his last city council meeting

Kelly Monaghan

Coppell Mayor Karen Hunt shakes City Manager Clay Phillips’ hand after approving the proclamation naming March 30, 2017 as “Clay Phillips Appreciation Day.” Phillips has been City Manager since 2008 and served in Coppell for a total of 26 years before deciding to retire this year.

Lili Lomas, Student Life Editor

After 26 years of service in the Coppell city government, Coppell City Manager Clay Phillips will be retiring on Friday. Tuesday night’s city council meeting marked his final meeting.

In recognition of his contributions to Coppell, Mayor Karen Hunt approved a proclamation naming Thursday “Clay Phillips Appreciation Day”.

“It’s been an honor to serve here,” Phillips said after his recognition.  “I love this community, you can’t possibly love it more than I do. If you love it as much as I do, then it’s in good hands.”

Phillips is a Coppell High School graduate and valedictorian of the class of 1978. His career at the City of Coppell began as Fire Chief in 1991. In 1996, he became Deputy City Manager and in 2008, the City Manager of Coppell.

Hunt showed her appreciation for his many contributions to the city including the recent renovation of the Cozby Library and Community Commons and building of the Coppell Life Safety Park.

“I am honored to be the one to hand this to you and to say thank you,” Hunt said. “Twenty-six years of service, the citizens of Coppell, me personally, and all of the employees have you to thank. You have put us in a place that we will be successful moving forward and all I can say is thank you.”

Also early in the meeting, the Coppell Fire Department was recognized for receiving the Insurance Services Office (ISO) rating of Class 1, the ISO’s highest classification. Plaques were presented to Hunt and Fire Chief Kevin Richardson.

Other items covered at the meeting were the approval of a project for the reparation of Airline Drive and for the entrance of a developer’s agreement between the City of Coppell and Prologis, L.P. for work on North Freeport Parkway.

For the final time, Phillips gave his City Manager’s report, updating Coppell residents about the progress of the Andrew Brown Park renovations. Andrew Brown West is set to open in the next couple of weeks.

The meeting ended with a report of upcoming spring events in the community, including a visit from Tara Storch, Coppell resident and Taylor’s Gift foundation co-founder, to the Cozby Library and Community Commons on April 5 and the Coppell Earth Fest on April 22.

Among the upcoming events mentioned is Phillips’ retirement reception on Thursday at Grapevine Springs Senior & Community Center from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. All Coppell residents are invited.