Showing no rust after layoff, Cowgirls lasso Lady Rams in convincing win

Coppell High School senior outfielder Mia Hermans bats in the second inning against Richardson Berkner on Tuesday night. The Cowgirls defeated Berkner, 16-1, in four innings due to the mercy rule at the CISD Baseball/Softball Complex. Photo by Ale Ceniceros.

Amelia Vanyo, Staff Writer

The hot sun shone overhead as the Coppell Cowgirls dominated Richardson Berkner, 16-1, on Tuesday night at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

The district game was a landslide win for the Cowgirls as they picked up the pace after returning from spring break.

“[Coppell coach] Mike Dyson gave us a couple days off and so that was a little hard for everyone to stay focused,” senior utility player Sami Thomas said.

The team played two non-district games during the break, but were also given three days off. But even with the break, the Cowgirls did not show any effects of the layoff.

“The mindset was just to make sure we just took care of business,” Dyson said.

Coppell sophomore pitcher Nora Rodriguez settled in after allowing a run in the first inning. The Cowgirls scored nine runs themselves in the bottom of the fourth to end the game due to the mercy rule.

“I think we had a lot of fun, and we did a good job,” Thomas said. “We knew what we had to get done and we did a good job making that happen.”