• George Coffee + Provisions set to open this spring in Old Town Coppell.

• 2017-18 Teen Leadership Coppell applications now available at www.teenleadershipcoppell.com.

• Coppell boys and girls soccer teams take on Lakeview Centennial in bi-district playoffs on Friday at Highland Park

Filed under Opinions

Worried about surviving Prom? Use these important insights to drive your parents and friends crazy.

Stuck between buying a new dress or a college textbook? Worried about making memories that truly last a lifetime? Stick to these steps and you can catch anything prom throws at you.

The Budget

Life is all about compromise. For a second semester senior in high school, the time for making college decisions falls around the same time as prom planning. When you are soon to be hit with a million-dollar tuition/dorm/textbook price tag, it can seem difficult to decide what to spend your parents money on.

No matter how much your prom expenses ring up to, I am here to clear your conscience and confirm that the price is right. Do not dabble over booking a party bus or renting a lake house, just get one of each! Who cares about the long term when you can have a double-decker party boat, am I right? Sure, your debit card will not take it kindly when it is time to purchase textbooks in the fall, but hey, no one can say your prom night wasn’t TURNT!

The Dress

Finding a dress can be stressful, at the very least. There are so many designers, styles and colors. One trip to the dress store is enough to make your head hurt. But once you have found the perfect dress, it makes it all worth it – just as long as no one else shows up that night with the same one.

If you find yourself dancing with friends and you do run into someone sporting the same gown, it comes down to the last girl standing. I am talking Hunger Games-style. Grab whatever is closest to you – the punch in a bowl – anything that can make their dress unrecognizable. This is a sure-fire way to make certain you are not overshadowed. Do you not want to be remembered for your unique, statement-making dress?

The Experience

Prom is a time to be with friends, celebrate how far you have come and take away an experience that lasts forever. Of course, the point of prom is to just have fun and make memories, but they do not call it “the best night of your life” for nothing.

No experience in your entire life should surpass the one you have at prom. Getting married? A ceremony second to prom crowning. That dream job you get? Not as rewarding as planning the perfect prom night. Make sure you put pressure on yourself and everyone around you. Start months ahead of time in order to assure everything will be fairy tale perfect. But hey, this life-affirming night is worth the hassle, and if not, freaking out at the last minute is never off the table!

In conclusion, yes, I threw a lot at you here, but you cannot spend enough time and mental energy on this important event. Going overboard is part of what makes prom so great. If you stick to these steps I can assure you, nothing can possibly go wrong.

Graphic by Thomas Rousseau.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Worried about surviving Prom? Use these important insights to drive your parents and friends crazy.”

1. Riley on March 20th, 2017 10:34 am

MEARA! Great story, I could not stop laughing. This is an amazing article, I love it.

[Reply]

2. Meha Srivastav on March 21st, 2017 9:21 am

haha, great article Meara!

[Reply]

• Worried about surviving Prom? Use these important insights to drive your parents and friends crazy.

Opinions

Spring break spent without my phone introduced many benefits

Opinions

Working with a team when you hate team spirit

Opinions

Don’t judge a school by its title: considering community college route after high school (with video)

Opinions

Leadership is more than a title: common traits of student leaders at CHS

Opinions

Dressing nice to observe changes in attitude, feeling, outlook on life

Opinions

We are not meant to become robots

Opinions

Silence can be louder than words: the benefits of being introverted

Opinions

Germany Reacts: International review of President Donald Trump’s first few weeks in office

Opinions

Finding acceptance within yourself (with video)

Opinions

Celebrating self love on Valentine’s Day