Slow start but strong finish as Cowgirls end the night 7-0 victory over Berkner

Amanda Hair

Coppell High School junior Ty Runnels, senior Sarah Houchin, and freshman Haley Roberson (left to right) celebrate their third goal of the night during the first half of Friday night’s game at Buddy Echols Field. Coppell claimed a 7-0 victory over Berkner.

Farah Merchant, Staff Writer

The Coppell High School Cowgirls (16-0-1) claimed yet another convincing victory of 7-0 Friday night over the Berkner Rams (2-9-1) at Buddy Echols Field, dominating just like they have been all season.

The win is a tribute to solid defense, led by Coppell senior defender Sarah Houchin. The consistency of back line rarely allowed Berkner forwards to penetrate midfield.

Coppell senior forward Tori Teffeteller scored 18 minutes in to change the dynamic of the night and the Cowgirls gained a flow after that pivotal point.

“That’s one thing we are doing to have to improve on and get better at as we work on things,” Coppell head coach Ryan Dunlevy said. “We controlled it from the beginning and eventually when that first goal happened then they kind-of fell in after that. It’s the matter of getting the first one earlier.”

Another goal by Tefteller and a score by junior midfielder Ty Runnels extended the Coppell lead to 3-0.

Amanda Hair
Coppell High School senior forward Baylee Hux dribbles toward the goal during the first half of Friday night’s match against Berkner. The Coppell Cowgirls defeated the Berkner Rams, 7-0, at Buddy Echols Field.

Close to the end of the first half, a Berkner defender fouled sophomore forward Rebecca Watley giving the Cowgirls a penalty kick.

Senior goalkeeper Maddie Weber, who spent her entire year defending against goals was given the opportunity to score one, increasing the Cowgirl’s lead.

The first half ended with the Cowgirls leading 5-0 with the the last goal made by junior forward Ryley Andrews.

“I thought we played really well,” Tefteller said. “We had our goals and we met all of them. We had a shutout just like always and we didn’t get scored on. We played really well and had connections.”

The Cowgirls play Skyline in District 9-6A action tonight on Senior Night at  Buddy Echols Field.

“[Not being scored on] is a big tribute to the people in the back, the people in the next line of defense all the way up to our forwards,” Dunlevy said. “Our goal keepers both [freshman] Lauren Kellett and Maddie Weber play exceptional. We’ve given up one goal in 17 matches. It’s a big a word of appraise to the girls and their hard work and dedication to the details.”