Years of embracing the grind pays off for nine CHS athletes

Senior Jacob Nesbit signs to Arkansas for baseball on Nov. 9, National Signing Day, in the Coppell High School arena. Five CHS students signed their letters of intent to play baseball in college, nine students signing in total.

Megan Winkle

From a young age, parents and players commit to hours of practice, pay thousands of dollars and sacrifice dozens of weekends for the  chance of playing at the next level.

On Wednesday, nine Coppell High School athletes signed their letters of intent to continue playing the sport they love at the next level.

CHS teammates, coaches, teachers and families gathered in the Coppell arena to celebrate the signing of the athletes.

The celebration commemorated athletes of some spring sports signees, volleyball and golf. For senior  Sami Thomas, the lone softball commit who participated on Wednesday, signing to her university has always been a dream.

As native of Hawaii with many family members residing in the state, the University of Hawaii at Manoa is perfect fit for pursuing her passion in marine biology and playing softball.

“I’m really excited and I feel like I have worked really hard for it and it feels really good to have it finally done. It’s like a dream come true, it all paid off,” Thomas said.

Five baseball commits headlined the ceremony with both seniors Trey Becerra and Mason Holt signing to play at Navarro College in Corsicana.

Knowing that they played a part in the journey and successes of athletes sparks pride in coaches.

“You have put a lot of your effort into making them as good as you can make them but obviously we don’t do the lifting, we don’t do the running, and we don’t do the hitting,” Coppell baseball coach Kendall Clark said. “We are able to have success with them and feel like we are part of it,”

Senior golfer Grace Do, a Texas Christian University signee, has been verbally committed for almost two years. The religious aspect of her university is a nice addition to the athletic experience.

“It finally feels amazing to sign know where I am actually going and know that they stand behind me and I stand behind them.” Do said.

2016 Coppell High School athletics signees

Grace Do – Texas Christian University – girls’ golf

Trey Becerra – Navarro College – baseball

Mason Holt – Navarro College – baseball

John Kodros – Louisiana State University – baseball

Lauren Lee – Rice University – volleyball

Cody Masters – Texas Tech – baseball

Jacob Nesbit – Arkansas – baseball

Sami Thomas – University of Hawaii at Manoa – softball

Brian Choe – Kansas State University – boys’ golf