Trumping expectations

Republican nominee wins presidency with unanticipated margin

Sakshi Venkatraman, Executive News Editor

Republican nominee Donald J. Trump was elected president in the early hours of Wednesday morning after a polarizing, historical campaign.

Trump secured the presidency when he crossed 270 electoral college delegates at 1:31 a.m. local time, taking key swing states such as Ohio and Florida. While Democratic Secretary of State Hillary Clinton leads in the popular vote, she finished the night with 218 delegates.

The unprecedented election came as a shock to many Americans, as all signs, including poll numbers, pointed to a sweeping Clinton victory.

President elect Donald Trump speaks at a pre-rally press conference on Feb. 26 in Forth Worth. Trump won the presidential election after crossing 270 electoral votes early Wednesday morning.

Thomas Rousseau

CNN chief Washington correspondent Jake Tapper made analogies to the 2000 George W. Bush v. Al Gore election, stating, “It’s the closest election I have seen since 2000.”

Trump addressed the nation in a victory speech early this morning, mentioning that Clinton called to congratulate him. His cordial speech called for the unification of the country.

“Now it’s time for America to bind the wounds of division — have to get together,” he said. “To all Republicans and Democrats and independents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people.”

Clinton did not deliver a speech last night, to the chagrin of many Trump surrogates; her headquarters were addressed by campaign chair John Podesta.

At 11 a.m. today, Hillary addressed the nation in an emotional concession speech. She stated that she has offered to work with Trump for the best interests of the nation.

“I hope that he will be a successful president for all Americans,” she said. “We owe him an open mind and a chance to lead.”

She also addressed the deep divisions within the country revealed throughout the election season and her campaign’s efforts to bring together minority groups. She targeted young people in her speech, as well.

“Never stop believing that fighting for what’s right is worth it,” she said.  

Congressional elections took place last night, as well. Democrats gained a seat in the Senate, however Republicans held their majority, with a 47:51 ratio respectively. The House of Representatives is also still controlled by Republicans with a 237:91 representative ratio.

President Barack Obama spoke at 12:15 p.m. about his thoughts for the American people following the election.

“We are now all rooting for [Trump’s] success,” he said. “The peaceful transition of power is one of the hallmarks of our democracy.”

Obama says he has wished Trump luck for his upcoming term and has invited him to the White House for a meeting tomorrow.

1 Comment

One Response to “Trumping expectations”

1. Venky Venkatraman on November 20th, 2016 3:56 pm

This article is perfectly written article to convey the facts without coloring it with any opinion.

There is just one typo and that is in the sentence “The House of Representatives is also still controlled by Republicans with a 237:91 representative ratio.” The correct ratio is 241:194 (see https://ballotpedia.org/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2016).

Kudos on a job well done!!

P.S. Please discard my previous comment since that had a couple of typos!

[Reply]

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

Bringing the art back

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

College Series: Simple recipes to make transition easier

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

Finding strength

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

The Big Bus Switch: What it means for the students who ride the buses, and for those who drive them

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

College Series: Dorm room hacks to make freshman move in day easier

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

Needs and numbers: The intricate process of booster club funding for athletics, band simplified (part 1)

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

Valuable role of friendship in mental health journey (Part 2 of 2)

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

The hands behind healing: Austin Street Shelter provides new beginnings for Dallas most vulnerable homeless

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

Campus to get first taste of blocked schedule in days after break

• Trumping expectations

Enterprise

Biggest enemy in mental illness to defeat is denial (Part 1 of 2)

Trumping expectations