Citizens dissatisfied with candidates, vote out of obligation

On Tuesday in Coppell, with three hours left till election polls closed, the sky opened up and rain poured down upon City Hall. The dark, chilly, evening was fitting as voters felt glum exiting the polls.

“I feel dirty,” Coppell voter Rob Ianni said. “I feel dirty because I had to vote the way I had to vote because of the choices. I don’t feel good about my vote.”

Ianni, who has voted in every Presidential Election since 1988, came out to vote in the rain not because of his draw to a candidate, but rather to exercise his right.

“I believe the candidates were the two worst candidates we’ve ever had,” Ianni said. “It’s just that I feel it’s my obligation to vote, that’s why I’m here.”

Many voters share Ianni’s view of the election, such as Lorraine and Steve Nisi of Coppell, who cast their vote together.

“[The election] has been nasty, probably one of the dirtiest elections,” Lorraine said.

Mr. Nisi also noted the vulgarity between candidates.

“There’s been a lot of drama,” Mr. Nisi said. “I wish they had just stuck close to the issues instead of throwing mud at each other.”

However, regardless of the negativity surrounding the two major party candidates, it did not affect who either Mr. or Mrs. Nisi chose on the ballot.

While many chose not to disclose who it is they supported this election, some citizens were more vocal.

“I don’t want Trump to be in office. I’m a Democrat, I would love to see a female president,” Coppell voter Jasmine Makil said.

Makil points out a trend she has throughout the voting season, with more people voting based off of specific candidate, rather than party.

“This time around people are voting not necessarily for the party they tend to vote for, it’s more about not getting a crazy person in office,” Makil said.

While The Sidekick did not find a Trump supporter interested in sharing their opinion, the signs lining the front of Town Center directed support toward the Republican Party nominee.

Although they braved the rain and darker hours to choose a candidate, the motivation behind most citizens remained fundamental- the right to vote.

“I feel like it’s my patriotic duty to vote, whether I like either of the candidates, it’s important, a lot of people have fought and died for that freedom,” Coppell voter Denise Washburn said. “We honor people by doing it.”

Moving past Election Day, Ianni hopes that much of the negativity that has clouded this election cycle will dissipate.

“People don’t want to talk about the issues, they’d rather attack the other person,” Ianni said. “I look forward to the day when people will talk about issues again.”