Coppell ends its playoff run in the Area round

The Woodlands topped Coppell in straight sets last Friday

Coppell High School senior libero Lauren Lee dives to save the ball from hitting the ground while junior defensive specialist Izzy Hall and junior outside and rightside hitter Amanda Colon try to rush to her aid at the varsity game against W.T. White Tuesday night in the arena. The Cowgirls won each set 25-3, 24-5, and 25-7.

Hannah Tucker

Hannah Tucker

After a season featuring tremendous growth, the Cowgirls volleyball team will have to wait until next year to make another state run.

Coppell (28-15) fell in straight sets 23-25, 22-25, 25-12 to No. 11 The Woodlands (38-7) in Fairfield on Friday night in the Class 6A Region II area playoffs. The Cowgirls defense shined as it had all season, but its offense simply couldn’t keep up with The Woodlands’ high-powered attack.

“Our strength is defense,” Coppell senior libero and District 9-6A MVP Lauren Lee said. “We are very good about getting the ball up, but with the young offense that we have we struggled to put the ball away and take all of our opportunities.”

The Woodlands were down the whole first set due to stellar defensive play by Lee and Coppell junior defensive specialist Sam Silver, yet Coppell relinquished its lead with only two points to go, losing 25-23. Coppell’s block struggled to get going from the start of the game and was one of the reasons that the Lady Highlanders took the first set.

A strained Coppell defense simply could not hold up to the constant onslaught of players like Lady Highlander junior middle blocker AJ Koele who had 14 kills on the night.

Coppell was down by eight points nearly the entire second set, yet Coppell junior outside hitter Breanne Chausse led a late set resurgence that fell just short, ending in a three-point set loss at 25-22.

The Woodlands made quick work of the Cowgirls in the final set with a score of 25-12.

“We were so young this year,” Coppell coach Julie Green said. “There were so many sophomores and juniors that were new to varsity, but I think we ended playing at a really high level so our goal next year is to start there to have an even better season.”