New Associate Director takes his place in Coppell Choir’s crescendo to success

September 16, 2016

For Coppell Choir, there is no beginning or end of competition season. Students are in constant preparation mode for their next step in the “Choral State,” a common nickname for Texas because of its reputation for producing competitive choirs.

But for new choir director Adam Gilliland, the 2016-17 school year marks a definitive beginning.

At the end of the 2015-16 school year, associate choir director of two years, Cassey Carruth, announced his departure, leaving students wondering who could possibly fill his shoes.

“I wasn’t too worried about [head director Josh Brown] and Mr. Carruth finding someone that would be perfect for the position,” junior Jessica Hernandez said. “If Brown was able to find someone as wonderful as Carruth, I was positive he’d be able to find someone just as amazing.”

On the first day of school, Gilliland’s bow tie and approachable persona quickly made him a favorite among his students. Junior choir member Riya Mahesh said her first impression of the new associate choir director was that he, “seemed super excited to work with us.”

Gilliland, a 2016 graduate from Baylor with a degree in music education, was welcomed into a choir room that was busy from the get go of the school year.

“It’s a little bit like chasing a moving car,” Gilliland said.

Coppell High School choir associate director Adam Gilliland helps junior Bharathi Caldwell with her sight-reading during Josh Brown’s fifth period A Capella choir class. This is Gilliland’s first year with Coppell High School’s choir program and they are currently preparing for a big performance (Texas Music Educators Association) that takes place in February. Photo by Ale Ceniceros

As Gilliland begins his first teaching job, Coppell choir is racing towards an event that Texas choral directors dream of their entire career.

Coppell Choir announced at the end of last school year that in February 2017, their varsity mixed choir “A Cappella” will be one of two mixed choirs performing at the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) in San Antonio, a feat the group has dreamed of for years.

Coppell High School choir associate director Adam Gilliland warms up with the A Capella choir during Josh’s Brown fifth period class. A big competition (Texas Music Educators Association) takes place this February, Gilliland helps Brown and the choir to be successful. Photo by Ale Ceniceros
Coppell High School choir associate director Adam Gilliland warms up with the A Capella choir during Josh’s Brown fifth period class. Gilliland is helping Brown and the choir to be successful at Texas Music Educators Association, one of the choir’s biggest concerts, which will take place this February. Photo by Ale Ceniceros

”It’s really cool to be able to come in and experience that my first year of teaching and knowing what a big deal this is,” Gilliland said.

Students are all bubbling with excited anticipation for the concert.

“I’m really excited to work with clinicians and create a life changing sound for the audience,” junior choir student Tori Kennedy said.  

Earning a place in the TMEA program is only a fraction of the work the group will put into the endeavor and within the first week of school, students have already delved into their repertoire for the sought after performance.

The music they will be performing was selected by Brown, who said he looked through six to eight thousand pieces over the summer to find music for the program.

“For us, this is as big as winning a state championship in any sport. Only we have to go back and show people we deserve to be winners,” Brown said.

Follow Amelia @ameliavanyo