• Check out our Entertainment section for the "Best of Coppell" that you voted for!

• CHS alum Solomon Thomas drafted third last night by the San Fransisco 49ers.

• Principal Mike Jasso will leave CISD at the end of the 2016-17 school year. Follow @CHSCampusNews and check CSM for updates.

Tuesday’s City Council meeting: roads and retirement

Coppell City Council members (left to right) Marvin Franklin, Nancy Yingling, and Mayor Pro Tem Gary Roden.

Thomas Rousseau, Staff Writer

Tuesday’s City Council meeting saw the creation of an official Sharon Logan Appreciation Day, the appointment of a new Mayor Pro Tem and the beginning of several plans to reconstruct roads around Coppell.

Sharon Logan is the Community Information Officer and is very involved in assisting the members of the City Council. Logan was hired by the city in 1998 to help bridge the gap between citizens and their city government.

Some of the highlights of Logan’s service to the city include, but are not limited to, watching City Manager Clay Phillips evacuate 5,000 people from Andy Brown Park during a storm, finding a den of baby rattlesnakes in the council chambers while giving a tour and assisting in the reconstruction of Kid Country. May 24, 2016 was officially deemed Sharon Logan Appreciation Day.

Coppell Mayor Karen Hunt hugs newly retired Community Information Officer Sharon Logan after the announcement of the day of appreciation dedicated to her.

Amit Sangani had signed up to voice his concerns about multi-use zoning in Coppell, saying that they do not fit very well with the rest of Coppell’s new developments. Higher density, multi-use buildings would be a mix of commercial and residential within the same building.

The city council has previously proposed more mixed use areas as part of the 2030 plan, but as time has passed, problems and roadblocks have caused some to doubt the necessity or potential of some of the planned expansions.

“We are not New York City, we are not Philidelphia, we do not have that kind of capacity, but the council thinks there is a need for that kind of property for starter families that cannot afford a starter home, the problem is that one a one acre lot, that is expensive, the per square footage price is quite high,” Sangani said.

A new community satisfaction survey was issued to the residents of Coppell, and in several different mediums. Two hundred and fifty two people were contacted randomly by phone, 862 completed the web-based survey, and 1,052 completed the survey by mail.

A resolution was passed to allow $11.8 million to be put towards improvements and additions to Freeport Parkway and Belt Line Road, along with new water drainage fixtures around city-owned land. There was also a vote to announce official intent to repair the alleys beside Havencrest and Shadowcrest, which were built in the 1970s and 1980s and have begun to fall into disrepair.
A new Mayor Pro Tem has been selected, with Wes Mays, former Place 3 council member succeeding former Mayor Pro Tem Gary Roden.