Want to get involved? Check these AP English III events to support the cause

Meha Srivastav, Staff Writer

Projects are often boring research papers. They are ‘teamwork’ with only one of the team members doing the work, long nights without an ounce of sleep but pounds of glue and construction paper.

But at the end of each year, the students of  AP Language and Composition classes at Coppell High School come together in a project that helps more than their grade or morale after the last brain-wracking test- it helps their society, and sometimes, even the country or the world.

AP English III teacher Tracy Henson started the ‘Charitable Organizations’ Project in 2007.

All classes of the subject now take part in the project, with each teacher’s class period raising money for a different charity organization.

This year, a myriad of organizations with heartfelt causes are taking the stage, and you can assist these causes by supporting the following projects of AP English teachers Linda Moore and Tracy Henson’s classes:

Moore’s Third Period Class:

Organization: Linda’s Voice, an organization in Texas that empowers women against domestic violence

Event: Bingo Night with concession stands. Prizes for Bingo include a television set, bluetooth speaker and restaurant gift cards.

Date: Saturday, from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Venue: Coppell Family YMCA

Fourth Period:

Organization: Water.org,an American organization that provides aid to developing countries without sanitation and clean drinking water.

Event: Sold T-shirts for $15

Henson’s First Period:

Organization: Family Legacy, an organization that helps provide housing, education and food to children in Zambia.

Events: Selling black hair ties with the label ‘One Child At a Time’ for $1 each (contact Brooke Davidson at [email protected] to purchase these).

Fundraiser at Tea2go on May 20 and Mooyah on May 21.

Fourth Period:

Organization: Make-A-Wish Foundation, which grants wishes to children with terminal diseases.

Events: Fundraiser at Cici’s Pizza.

Selling T-shirts for $15. (Contact Franklin Truax at [email protected] to purchase a tee).

Hosting a dodgeball tournament at the CORE from 1-4 p.m. on Saturday, May 21.

Watch their video about the Make-A-Wish Foundation here .

Fifth Period:

Organization: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, which has a mission to ‘save lives and bring hope to those affected by suicide’.

Events: Sold T-shirts for $15.

Performed a flashmob on May 17 to raise awareness about the organization and its purpose.

Sixth Period-

Organization: Operation Smile, which raises money to provide for surgeries for children with cleft lips in third world countries.

Events: Donation drive at Coppell YMCA to collect mini toothbrushes and toothpastes for affected children. Garage Sale at Rejoice Lutheran Church on Saturday, May 21, from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.