Election Day Results: Bond passes, new members elected to Board of Trustees

May 9, 2016

At 7 p.m. on Saturday evening, the polls for the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees and bond election closed. As the results from each precinct started to come in, it was finally time to see how the future of education in Coppell – and the people involved in it – would change.

The bond election was close until the end, with only 91 of 5,391 votes separating those for and against it.

“Tonight was a victory for the students and teachers of Coppell ISD,” said Coppell ISD Superintendent Dr. Mike Waldrip in a statement. “This record turnout proves the passion our community has for our high performing school district. We are committed to honoring voter approval of this referendum by managing the bond projects in a transparent and fiscally responsible manner. With the results of this election, we can continue providing a brighter future for our entire community by maintaining our tradition of academic excellence.”

In Place 1 of the CISD Board of Trustees, Leigh Walker won with 3,464 votes.

“It’s an honor and a privilege to serve on the board, and I’m so grateful to the community for electing me,” Walker said. “It was a record voter turnout, and I don’t want the dialogue to end on Election Day. I’m looking forward to getting to work on making our Coppell schools even better.”

In Place 2 of the Board, Jill Popelka won with 2,719 votes.

“I am so excited about having the opportunity to serve our school district on the Board of Trustees,” Popelka said. “Based on very narrow margins in which the bond passed, I think we have a lot of work to do in building trust with our community and ensuring that we have the full support of our community to execute the projects that are a part of the bond proposal. They are important projects and we need to ensure that everyone sees that we are doing the best thing for our students and for our school.”

In Place 3 of the Board, Anthony Hill won with 2,508 votes.

“I’m excited to be re-elected for Place 3 and I look forward to continuing to advocate for Coppell ISD through building partnerships with all individuals, businesses and organizations that are willing to support the ambition and vision of the district,” Hill said. “I’m also looking forward to the continued work of Pinnacle 20/20, the strategic plan and seeing that executed to allow the district to fulfill the dreams and aspirations that is has for staff and students in the district.”

The new Board members will be sworn in on May 23 at 6 p.m. in the board room of the Vonita White Administration Building.

You can view the complete breakdown of votes for both the Board and bond election here.