Engineering Expo sure to build interest in field

Coppell+High+School%E2%80%99s+solar+car+team+has+built+the+car+%E2%80%9CAurora%E2%80%9D+over+the+past+6+years%2C+every+year+making+changes+to+improve+chances+of+placing+in+annual+races.+This+year%2C+club+members+will+be+driving+their+new+vehicle+%E2%80%9COutlaw%E2%80%9D+from+Texas+Motor+Speedway+to+Minneapolis+over+the+course+of+the+six+day+race.+

Ale Ceniceros

Coppell High School’s solar car team has built the car “Aurora” over the past 6 years, every year making changes to improve chances of placing in annual races. This year, club members will be driving their new vehicle “Outlaw” from Texas Motor Speedway to Minneapolis over the course of the six day race.

Kathryn Rudd, Staff Writer

You do not have to be a future architect or chemical engineer to be involved in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) program. But on Saturday, you will have the chance to explore your future options in engineering.

This Saturday the annual Coppell High School Engineering Expo will be held from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the CHS Commons. At the expo, you can visit with numerous engineering schools and companies such as MIT, Texas A&M, University of Texas and IBM. Students will have the opportunity to see and learn more about the engineering and STEM programs at CHS through numerous displays of students work including the Solar Car team, Science Fair winners and robotics projects.

This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in engineering or technology, not only for current STEM and engineering students. This is a free event and everyone is welcome.
“The expo gives our students a chance to show colleges a chance to see what our students do, which differentiates them from other students who just have the transcript,” CHS STEM lead and engineering teacher Mike Yakubovsky said. “It also gives them a great opportunity to speak with colleges like [Texas] A&M and Purdue so it’s a great way for students to see what they’re looking for.”