Coppell High School power couple; Mr. and Mrs. Caussey (Q&A)

Tanya Raghu, Staff Writer

Teacher Chris Caussey and coach Clara Caussey have worked at Coppell High School for three years together, inspiring minds, making meaningful contributions and encouraging students to reach their potential. Chris has worked as World History teacher for three years and Clara as an instructional coach for eleven. 

Individually, they have proven themselves to be invaluable assets to CHS, and even more important as a team. Their careers centered around education in the same building makes their relationship truly unique and their lifestyles more convenient.

How did you first get involved in education and teaching?

Mrs. Caussey: My mom was a teacher, I come from a family of teachers. When I went to college, I said I wasn’t going to be a teacher, but part of my scholarship said I had to volunteer at the elementary school across the street, and I realized when I was there that I was supposed to be a teacher. I changed my major to education and have been doing that ever since.

Mr. Caussey: I decided to go into teaching in college. I was in the Boys and Girls club in Abilene, Texas and on my first day, I was in the education room helping kids with their homework. I really enjoyed doing that and establishing positive relationships. I decided to follow in my parents footsteps.

Were there any instances that you have had to work together at school?

Mrs. Caussey: I’m an instructional coach so I work with teachers and help them. I have worked with his World History team with before with writing lessons.

Mr. Caussey: I’m the sponsor of the TEDx club and she helps me get ready for the event. We work together in regards to school clubs and organizations.

When people realize that both of you work together, what are their reactions?

Mrs. Caussey: [People] say that it must be nice that we are both teachers, especially in the same place, so we have time together which is really nice.

Mr. Caussey: For me, it was the people, she was already here and I was in another school district. Meeting her friends and formulating relationships, I realized they were such great people, so why not come over and join Coppell?

How many times per day do you see each other?

Mrs. Caussey: Very rarely do we purposely meet each other.

Mr. Caussey: Sometimes we don’t see each other at all [at school], maybe once or twice a day, mostly because her office is in the library and mine is upstairs.

Do you sometimes wish that you had chosen different career paths for more of a variety?

Mrs. Caussey: Teaching is hard because you have an emotional burden. The things that our students struggle with, we take home with us. It’s nice for someone to understand what that means, such as the first week of school – he understands that completely.
Mr. Caussey: I think there are many conveniences with working in the same building. It was easy for me to come to Coppell. It’s usually hard being new, just because you don’t know anybody, but this was not the case. [Because of my wife], I knew some teachers and administrators that really helped.

Coppell High School teachers Chris and Clara Caussey sit in Caussey’s World History classroom. This teacher power couple has been working at CHS for three years and while Mr. Caussey teaches World History, Mrs. Caussey is an instructional coach. Photo by Kelly Monaghan.
Coppell High School teachers Chris and Clara Caussey hold hands in Caussey’s World History classroom. This teacher power couple has been working at CHS for three years and while Mr. Caussey teaches World History, Mrs. Caussey is an instructional coach. Photo by Kelly Monaghan.