Cowgirl seniors score five of 12 goals in rout of Haltom

Coppell scores seven goals in first half as they won their final regular season match of the season

Coppell senior Emma Jett passes to senior Caitlyn Hiller during the first half of Friday’s game against Haltom. Jett scored two goals as the Cowgirls cruised to a 12-0 win. Photo by Ayoung Jo.

Joseph Krum, Managing Editor

After the mist calmed down and the honoring of the eight Cowgirl seniors came to a close, the final match at Buddy Echols Field was set to start for the Coppell girls soccer team.

Right after the kickoff, not even a minute in, junior forward Tori Teffeteller found the back of the net to give the Cowgirls (16-6 overall, 9-2 District 7-6A) the early lead on Haltom (4-13-2, 0-9-1), from which they never looked back.

.

The Cowgirls, winning 12-0, were lead by two goals each from Teffeteller, senior defender Emma Jett, junior defender Erian Brown and freshman forward Micayla Weathers. Senior defender Madeline Guiderian, senior midfielder Maddie Dickson and senior forward Caitlyn Hiller all cashed in as well in their final Coppell home match in their career.

Dickson, one of the seniors honored last night, thought that her last game at Buddy Echols Field was something to remember.

“It was really emotional since we knew the game had such high stakes because of all eight of the seniors,” Dickson said. “We really wanted to play as hard as we could for each other and play a good match.”

The eight Coppell seniors in total scored five out of the 12 goals in the 80 minute match, with Jett leading the way with two.

“The seniors have given a lot to this program, and it feels good to honor them and their accomplishments throughout this past season and all four of their years,” Coppell soccer coach Ryan Dunlevy said. “They came out and played really well, scoring some goals for us. They started the game off strong for us and ended it with a goal, so overall it was a pretty positive outcome.”

Although the Cowgirls are celebrating their big win and honoring the seniors for a little while, their sights have to be set quickly on the playoffs looming ahead. The Class 6A defending state champion Cowgirls locked second place in District 7-6A, behind rival Southlake Carroll, and will be looking to use their experiences this season to their advantage in the playoffs as they prepare.

“We’re about to start the most important part of the season: the playoffs,” Dunlevy said. “Going in, I feel pretty positive about how we’re playing. Everyone is healthy and ready to go. The chemistry is right and the character of the team is awesome. Going forward, we’ll try to keep the momentum rolling through spring break and into the playoffs.”

Coppell senior Shay Johnson dribbled down the field on senior night against Haltom. The Cowgirls scored seven goals in the first half to ease to a 12-0 win to end the regular season. Photo by Ayoung Jo.