Second half surge pushes Cowboys past L.D. Bell, 7-1

February 20, 2016

Just four minutes before the buzzer for halftime, Coppell sophomore forward Wyatt Priest put the ball into the back of the net, causing the crowd at Buddy Echols Field to go wild.

Minutes later, another was scored from senior forward Tanner Traw; these goals gave the Cowboys soccer team the confidence they needed in their 7-1 defeat of L.D. Bell on Friday night.

After halftime, the score was 2-1 in Coppell’s favor.  The game belonged to the Cowboys, as every goal and synchronized pass from then on was theirs.

L.D. Bell was a tough team to play in the beginning, scoring in the first 10 minutes to take an early 1-0 lead and then a constant battle between both teams defenses.

“We always want to try to come out early and get a good start and tonight we didn’t do that,” Coppell Coach Chad Rakestraw said. “Playing from behind isn’t a good feeling but the response is good.”

The Cowboys responded very quickly in the second half with a strong defense and a fast offense.

“We’ve just been working on having a high focus throughout practice that will translate into the games because there’s times we struggle to focus during the full 80 minute game and so that clearly played a big part in our win tonight,”  senior defender Greg Johnston said.

On the attack, It was Priest’s night, as he scored again within the first minute of the second half. Following him were several goals by junior midfielders Alex Haas and Parker McClure.

“We really pressured them well and kept it on them. We played as a team,” Priest said. “We played really quick and we just made our chances.”