A chance to give back

Red Jackets blood drive returns to campus Feb. 12

Photo+from+The+SideKick+Archives+

Photo from The SideKick Archives

Riley Galloway, Staff Writer

Twice each school year, Coppell High School Red Jackets hosts a blood drive with partner Carter BloodCare. This year blood drive is scheduled for Feb. 12. from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the small gym.  

Donating blood is the perfect way to give back. According to American Red Cross, every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood and approximately 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.

To help participate in this year, blood drive sign up is available during lunch periods.  Students must be at least 16 years old, weigh 110 pounds or more and be in good health. Parental consent will be required for students under the age of 17.

When participating in a blood drive, participants will receive two shirts and if they donate twice you will receive a red honor cord at graduation.

Before donating, make sure you drink 16 ounces of water and eat a good meal. This ensures you are hydrated and full of energy. Neglect of doing so could cause you to feel dizzy, lightheaded, and/or nauseous.  

Every time a person donates blood according to American Red Cross, can help save up to three people lives. Also, If you begin donating at the age of 17 and donated every 56 days (donation frequency allowed) until you reached 76 you could be helping save more than 1,000 people.

“Hosting the blood drive gives us a chance do something with the students,” senior Red Jacket Chandler Peck said. “My favorite part is that it allows us to give back to the community while including the whole school.”