Cowgirls soccer nets four, blanks L.D. Bell in district opener

Four players score to give the Cowgirls their 8th win on the season

Kevin Madigan, KCBY

Dani Ianni

Coppell High School junior Erian Brown dribbles the ball down the field right before scoring the first goal of the game on Jan. 26. The Coppell Cowgirls defeated L.D. at Bell 4-0 at Buddy Echols Field.

Joseph Krum, Managing Editor

On a bitter cold night with a chilly wind, the Cowgirls soccer team (8-4 overall, 1-0 District 7-6A) got hot and scored three goals in the first half, cruising to a 4-0 win against the L.D. Bell Raiders (3-5-1, 0-1) for the first game of district play.

Coppell had the upper hand from the beginning, keeping the ball on L.D. Bell’s side of the field for most of the game. After a couple of missed opportunities in the final third to start, junior outside forward Erian Brown netted the ball with her left foot just eight minutes into the game.

Not 10 minutes later, junior center back Sarah Houchin took a penalty kick after a rough penalty in the box, scoring easily to put the Cowgirls up 2-0 with 23:14 still left in the half.

The final two goals of the game were scored by junior center forward Tori Teffeteller and junior outside forward Baylee Hux, the latter coming with 34 minutes left in the game.

“I needed redemption for missing the first shot I took,” Hux said. “As a forward, you’re expected to score. So as I was just telling myself ‘I have to score’, and when I saw the opportunity I just took it.”

Coppell coach Ryan Dunlevy saw some improvements on what the team has worked on, and liked what he saw last night as the team scored four goals.

“We’ve been working on our offensive rotation,” Dunlevy said. “We have worked on who replaces who and where the different players move around, so that’s what led to most of the success. Yet a lot of the success was just the players working hard and being hungry in front of the goal and creating their own opportunities.”

With four different players scoring each of the goals, Dunlevy accomplished exactly what he had hoped.

“We don’t have one person that we can rely on to score all of our goals,” Dunlevy said. “The scoring has been spread apart through a lot of different players, which is what I expected. I knew we didn’t have any players who can replace [2015 graduate and current Baylor player] Sarah King and score 40 goals in the season, but I knew we had enough players to step up and take bits and pieces from that total and score a lot this season.”

Even though there were four goals throughout the game, in each game there are always small things that the team can work on.
“Overall, the team played really well, but there’s always stuff that we need to work on” Hux said. “Once we fix those things we need to fix, I think we’ll be ready for Southlake [Carroll] this Friday.”

Coppell High School junior Sarah Houchin scores a goal against the L.D. Bell goalie on a penalty kick, making the score 2-0 on Jan. 26. The Coppell Cowgirls defeated L.D. at Bell 4-0 Buddy Echols Field.
Dani Ianni