Coppell Hockey drops a heartbreaker to Jesuit

Eric Cashimere, Staff Writer

FARMERS BRANCH- In an exciting game that came down to the wire, the Coppell hockey team  (9-2) ultimately lost 5-3 with two goals coming from Jesuit (5-6) late in the third period in a span of 25 seconds.

The first goal came for Coppell 1:43 into the first period, scored by junior forward Jacob Sharrer. Jesuit came back later in that period, scoring two goals to take a 2-1 lead.

“I don’t think we hit the players hard enough, we were taking too many long shifts.” Coppell forward James Reaman said.

Backup goalie Robert Longbotham and the Coppell defense looked stellar in the second period, not allowing a single goal. The only goal in the period was scored by junior forward James Reaman with a dangle around the defenseman and a wrister from 15 feet that blew past the Jesuit goalie.

Coppell High School junior Parker Noell skates away from a defender to get the puck. Coppell lost to Jesuit 5-3 at the Farmers Branch Dr.pepper Stars Center on Thursday night.

Coppell remained in the lead for most of the third period, but with just under two minutes Jesuit scored two goals and an empty netter to take a 5-3 win against Coppell.

“We got outworked today, that was the biggest thing,” Coppell coach Cosmo Clark said. “We got out hustled for the puck and we got caught watching around.”

Coppell looks to rebound back from a tough loss to Jesuit to play Plano East/Lovejoy the Thursday after Christmas break.