Cowgirls fall to Colleyville in first district game

Coppell High School junior center Chidera Nwaiwu struggles to score while being surrounded by Colleyville-Heritage players. The Coppell Cowgirls fell to the Colleyville Panthers 57-28. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

By TJ Andres
@tj_andres2
Staff writer

The 2015-2016 is in full swing and after multiple non district matchups and tournaments, the Coppell Cowgirls basketball team opened up district play on Tuesday night against the Colleyville Heritage Lady Panthers.

The Coppell Cowgirls basketball team have been on fire as of late and were looking to continue their win streak against Colleyville Heritage in their first district game. However, the Cowgirls struggled offensively all night and could not pick up their tenth win of the season losing to the Lady Panthers 57-28.

Colleyville got off to a fast start, leading the Cowgirls 11-3 mid way through the first. The Cowgirls started slow offensively committing multiple turnovers that lead to points for Heritage. The Panthers’ Bryn Gerlich was given a technical foul after shoving Junior Forward Abby Meyer going after a loose ball. After the technical foul, Coppell made a late surge at the end of the first quarter, hitting multiple three pointers including back to back threes from Senior Point Guard Kaeli Stayer to end the quarter. At the end of the first quarter, the Lady Panthers led the Cowgirls 16-12.

Coppell High School juniors Emma Johnson, Chidera Nwaiwu and Abby Meyer guard the opposing Colleyville Heritage Tuesday night at Coppell High School. The Coppell Cowgirls fell to the Colleyville Heritage Panthers 57-28. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

Throughout the second quarter, the Lady Panthers still led. However, the Cowgirls were hustling on both ends of the floor grabbing many rebounds. Meyer was doing well on both ends of the floor, leading the Cowgirls.

At halftime, the Lady Panthers lead the cowgirls 26-21.

Heritage got off to a fast start, going on a 10-0 run to start the third quarter. The Cowgirls could not get anything going offensively. At the end of the third, the Lady panthers led 41-22. Gerlich led the Lady Panthers in the third quarter scoring most of their points included three big baskets at the end of the quarter.

The cowgirls shot the ball poorly in the fourth quarter, only scoring six points and fell to the Lady Panthers on a final score of 57-28. Gerlich for the Lady Panthers led the way scoring a game high 30 points. Kaeil Stayer lead the way for the cowgirls scoring 12 points. The Cowgirls now drop to 9-5, next up for the cowgirls is a district matchup at Haltom on Friday.