Cowgirls collect victory over John Paul II

During the beginning of the third quarter of Friday night’s game, Coppell High School senior Kaylie Stayer goes in for a layup to bring the score to 32-20. Coppell kept the lead over John Paul II for the entire game, ending with a final score of 51-28. Photo by Amanda Hair.

By Chisom  Ukoha
Staff writer
@uchisom3

Coppell High School junior Emma Johnson looks to pass the ball, which will later be received by junior Chidera Nwaiwu during the beginning of the second quarter. Friday night’s game ended with a score of 51-28, Coppell defeating John Paul II. Photo by Amanda Hair.

The third quarter clock is down to a minute. John Paul II is desperately trying to stay in the game. They shoot for a three, but Coppell team captain, junior Chidera Nwaiwu, blocks their shot, recovers the ball and passes it down to senior Kaeli Stayer running down the side. She catches the ball and lays it up for one of their many fast breaks.

The Coppell Cowgirls varsity basketball team won its game on Friday by quite a large margin, 51-28 over John Paul II, moving its record to 11-5.

The girls played a good game offensively and defensively. One key defensive and offensive player was Nwaiwu.

“We played really well, this was probably one of our best games we played as a team, especially because we lead into district next week,” Nwaiwu said.

Another star player was Stayer. She was one of key offensive players, as she has been for much of this season. Scoring on two threes and four other shots from a the field, she racked up a total of 14 points, the game high, followed by Nwaiwu ay 11 points.

“We played pretty good as a team,” Stayer said. “We scored a bunch of points because we worked the ball really well, offensively, and our defense was really solid.”

During the first quarter of Friday night’s game, Coppell High School junior Paige Haas tries to shoot the ball as she is being guarded. Coppell defeated John Paul II with a score of 51-28 in the CHS large gym. Photo by Amanda Hair.

On Tuesday, the Cowgirls play their first District 7-6A game against Colleyville Heritage.

“They played really well,” Coppell coach Kristen Davis said. “It was exactly what we needed going into district next week, so they did an awesome job.”