“Tarte Tatin” that will warm you up on chilly fall days

By Aubrie Sisk

Staff Photographer

@aubrie_sisk

Thirty or so people gathered under a tent in the crisp fall air while the smell of melting caramel lingered to watch Chef Baker cook the very delicious French pastry. The audience was very relaxed, almost seeming at home with Baker’s friendly, humorous personality. When asked where he got his small fruit peeler, he joked that, “It’s hard enough being a pastry chef without all the cutesy tools”.

The Coppell Public Library has a tradition of choosing a book and then basing events off of it for the year. This time they chose “My Life in France” by Julia Child because it has themes of cooking and talks about travel, while also incorporating the “eating local” idea. The librarians chose to add events from the Farmers Market, including Joe the Baker’s French Tarte Tatin instructional class.

People came from all over to see Baker, and enjoy his seasonal recipes and helpful lessons.

“I’ve been coming to the Coppell Farmers Market since 2013, it’s been over two years and I think Joe’s been here that whole time,” said Carrollton resident Jennifer Jacobs. “[Joes’] been so kind and will give me baking tips and really helped me start to become a better chef”.

Baker has taught at Le Cordon Bleu College for the past four years and has been a vendor at the farmer’s market for two years. He is very approachable and open to people asking him questions. Baker encourages the audience to participate.

“We definitely wanted a vendor here because Julia [Child] talked about the importance of eating local and knowing what is available,” said Coppell Public Librarian Jennifer Franz. “[Child], in her book, didn’t really talk about French pastries. We didn’t think it was really feasible to cook [a] big, French gourmet elaborate dinner that she would make, so we figured pastries at least, she mentions it and talks about them some in her book. We thought it would be an easy chef demo.”

The recipe can work with any type of fruit or even vegetable, but Baker chose to use the traditional apples. Baker is a big believer in making the recipe his own, by adding in some spices, or removing others based on personal preference.

“I try to make things seasonal where I can because obviously it’s better, part of nature and this big philosophical thing,” Baker said. “I mean it’s true, I try to use apples when they’re in season and strawberries in July. Although there are also classics year round that you just can’t avoid, plus there’s also a global pantry, as we call it, where we can get stuff all year round. I prefer to get them in season, global where I can”.

Here is the recipe I received from Chef Baker.

recipe