Volleyball dominates Blue Raiders, gains momentum

By Joseph Krum
@joseph_krum
Managing Editor

Senior setter Maddie Hood serves the ball to the LD Bell Blue Raiders in the second game of the match. The Cowgirls won the game 25-11 and the match 3-0. Photo by Amanda Hair.

As the volleyball team was introduced before the game on Tuesday night against the LD Bell Blue Raiders, they each threw out one of their mini volleyballs to the crowd, a pregame ritual. Yet something about these introductions were different.

The night was Teacher Appreciation night, and each player had picked their favorite teacher and brought them to the game. After the player was announced, their teacher was too, going on through each of the Cowgirl players.

After the introductions the game started, and so did the Cowgirls with their dominant play. senior outside hitter Jamie Stivers led the game off with a huge block on the first point, and another huge block, this one from senior middle hitter Kylie Hagen-Breitenwischer, ended the first game with 25-11 win.

The Cowgirls took their momentum from the first game into the second, starting off with a 9-2 run. Then, with a couple of plays from freshman middle hitter Mykayla Myers, ended the second game with another 25-11 win.

The third game started off as a struggle for the Cowgirls, starting off in a 1-4 hole. Yet the Cowgirls battled back with a five point run which fueled to a 25-17 win in the third game and an overall win of the match.

Head coach Julie Green thought that the team accomplished what they had set out to do.

“I thought they played really well,” Green said. “We are always working on new things and we are always trying to challenge ourselves. We tried not to worry about what was going on on the other side of the net. There were some goals we had for the match and we met them.”

With a 31-9 record (9-1 in District 6A) and a second place spot in the district, the Cowgirls will be headed into the playoffs after the regular season ends.

Junior outside hitter Jordan Scott also feels good about how the team coming together.

“We played incredible,” Scott said. “We worked really great as a team and each made our plays.”

Junior outside hitter Jordan Scott passes the ball to a teammate during the Tuesday night game against LD Bell. The Cowgirls won the match 3-0 at home. Photo by Amanda Hair.

Green knows how important these last few games are with a playoff run ahead.

“[Getting momentum] was one of our goals of the night, to find the momentum and hang on to it,” Green said. “A lot of momentum is how good you feel about your play and that’s big going into playoffs. We feel good about how our team is coming together.”