• George Coffee + Provisions set to open this spring in Old Town Coppell.

• 2017-18 Teen Leadership Coppell applications now available at www.teenleadershipcoppell.com.

• Coppell boys and girls soccer teams take on Lakeview Centennial in bi-district playoffs on Friday at Highland Park

Books are a necessity when growing up

Coppell+High+School+seniors+Leia+Emerson%2C+Iliana+Diaz%2C+Imelda+Rivera%2C+Lexi+Muraga%2C+Hauwa+Oyebanji+and+junior+Miley+Shin+enjoy+the+classics%2C+as+well+as+other+modern+novels.+
Coppell High School seniors Leia Emerson, Iliana Diaz, Imelda Rivera, Lexi Muraga, Hauwa Oyebanji and junior Miley Shin enjoy the classics, as well as other modern novels.

By Emma Cummins

Editorial Page Editor

While movies and music have their benefits, books are often forgotten in this day and age. Reading is extremely important to a person’s development and should never be forgotten. No matter the book, it is always salubrious to sit down and read, even if only for 20 minutes.

So as a quick reminder to all my peers, I have compiled a list of the classics I have read or want to read, in hopes that you will venture off the beaten path (the school assigned reading list) and check out some of these books.

My list:

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

For those who do not do not want to mess with the wordiness of some of the classics, Hemingway is the writer for you. With short and simple sentences, this book can still pack an emotional wallop but without the complexity of novel made in the same time. Set in World War I, this novel tells the story of an American ambulance driver on the Italian front who falls in love with an English nurse. Fair warning: the ending may break your heart.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

A classic romance novel, Jane Eyre is the quintessential female heroine. Although Jane’s plight may tug at your insides, it is completely worth the read. Long story short, Jane ends up nannying a French pupil whose guardian provides romantic interest for her, but her happy ending does not happen in a simple manner. Filled with romance, horror and tragedy, this novel is better than any movie adaptation.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jane Austen may be one of the best writers of all time, and Pride and Prejudice can attest to this belief. A classic romance novel, it will provide you a happy ending to cheer up your day.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

Although a hefty amount of reading, these three books are filled with action and adventure. Warning, this may be a bit “nerdy” for some, but the movies are not as fantastical as the books, and contain less of the symbolism hidden in the books. If you have a long period of time, for example, Christmas break, then check these books out. If you find yourself entranced with Frodo and his harrowing journey to destroy evil, then you will probably enjoy the movies as well.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Although I have not read all of these, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a classic. The mysteries are also relatively short, so if you do not have copious amounts of time to spend then this might be your best option.

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Although less well known than The Great Gatsby, this novel may be even better. Infused with Fitzgerald’s personal experiences, this tragedy will break your heart but not without imparting an invaluable lesson. Not too long, this novel reads easily and is a great read for a free weekend.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it should be a few to get started with. If you find yourself particularly motivated, Google a list of classics everyone should read, and the results should be promising. The William T. Cozby Library, in Coppell, has all the suggested books for those who want a hard copy.