• George Coffee + Provisions set to open this spring in Old Town Coppell.

• 2017-18 Teen Leadership Coppell applications now available at www.teenleadershipcoppell.com.

• Coppell boys and girls soccer teams take on Lakeview Centennial in bi-district playoffs on Friday at Highland Park

Celebrity advice deserves no special attention

Graphic by Manu Garikipati

Graphic by Manu Garikipati

Graphic by Manu Garikipati

By Emma Cummins

Editorial Editor

As teenagers, we tend to draw advice from a variety of sources. Our family, teachers, and most importantly, the people we look up to, which for teenagers can more often than not be a celebrity. For me, I have a lot of celebrity favorites, but sometimes the distinction between a positive role model and a fun celebrity crush can be blurred.

The best example of this is the popularity of Jon Stewart, the American comedian, whose political satire has rallied much support, in particular, from the younger generation. Why? Is his political satire especially witty, sharp or insightful? I would say no, but rather his advice and political commentary runs on the comic appeal and the fallacies are apparent when you dissect his monologues. But if it makes you laugh, and Stewart seems to be doing that pretty well, there has to be some truth to it.

Unfortunately, Stewart’s popularity is so powerful that even an online petition has been set up that wishes to choose Stewart as the moderator for the first presidential debate. My only question is why? Other than his popularity and celebrity status can Stewart offer anything substantial in the field of politics?  

The dissemination of popular opinion by popular celebrities is constantly bombarding teenagers, thus inhibiting their ability to think about any topic without the guise of humor or taint of popularity.

Amy Schumer is another example of a celebrity who is using her fame to talk about political issues with her having no prior experience in politics. Her recent efforts, partnered with New York Senator Chuck Schumer, to increase gun control has been given much attention by the media.

Celebrities have a unique position. Armed with an army of devoted followers, millions of dollars to devote to whatever they wish and a voice to talk about whatever they desire, celebrities often choose buy into the liberal propaganda that utilizes witty and simple fallacies to trick the majority of the population into buying their sound bites.

I, too, have fallen prey to heeding a celebrity’s advice as well as many of my friends. With no intention do I write this column to bash anyone’s favorite celebrity or the way they choose to form their thinking. I only caution you to take advice from someone who has fame and fortune with an acute sense of discretion, and to understand why this person may be giving advice on this topic.

Celebrities have the right to say whatever they wish, but this does not mean they have the insight or expertise to be taken seriously. While celebrities may have something valuable to say, like any other person, we should take their advice in the same manner that we would from a neighbor or average person you would meet on the street, not as an expert.

1 Comment

• Celebrity advice deserves no special attention

Editorial

Casting vote does not define you

Editorial

Relearning lessons in our generation

Editorial

College is a place to grow up, not be more coddled

Editorial

Whether religious or not, Christmas unifies

Editorial

Violent v.s. peaceful protest: Is cathartic protest through violence warranted or effective?

Editorial

Math, science are not the only indication of intelligence

Editorial

Books are a necessity when growing up

Editorial

Twitter sends a mixed message with news

Editorial

Editorial: Memorization trumps life skills in classroom under pressure

Editorial

Editorial: Staff encourages reciprocating thankfulness through giving