• George Coffee + Provisions set to open this spring in Old Town Coppell.

• 2017-18 Teen Leadership Coppell applications now available at www.teenleadershipcoppell.com.

• Coppell boys and girls soccer teams take on Lakeview Centennial in bi-district playoffs on Friday at Highland Park

Confederate flag: Pro

The confederate battle flag flying alongside the American, and Texan flag over a general store in Graford, Texas. Photo Courtesy Nicolas Henderson.

By Thomas Rousseau

The confederate battle flag should remain an important part of history, and a prominent symbol of southern culture. Although history is written, and sometimes rewritten, by the victors, they do not get to determine the truth.

What’s giving the rebel symbol the most attention it has seen since the Civil War, is people attempting to viciously censor it due to its involvement in unfortunate recent events. One of which being its unlawful removal from South Carolina’s statehouse.

A symbol is not always defined by those who carry it, especially when organizations that do nothing but propagate hate do so. Those who pollute the meaning of the flag while not benefiting society in any way do not deserve to fly it.

Let us take a few steps back and deconstruct the whole politically correct movement pushed so fervently by many in the left. First, you can not offend people. Next, you have to be nice so you can not offend people. Then, you have to be their version of nice so as to make sure no single entity may ever feel left out of any one of your opinions.

The confederate battle flag flying alongside the American, and Texan flag over a general store in Graford, Texas. Photo Courtesy Nicolas Henderson.People hate the battle flag of the Confederacy because they have been told it stands for racism. If they are not white, they will be offended by this knowledge. If they are, they will be offended on a minority’s behalf. Offense is never given, it is always taken.

The battle flag has become much more than that, however, it symbolizes a period in history, as well as one of the distinctly separate cultures within America. Southern culture is different than that of the Northwest, or the East Coast, and deserves to control the symbols of its heritage and a history that people are proud of. Both sides of the Civil War were racist, especially by today’s standards.

If you want to censor history that includes racism, you might as well ban every flag of every nation on Earth. Yes, that includes the United States. The Confederate flag holds no threat to national safety.

Individuals, businesses and state governments should have every right to fly the Confederate flag. Whether it is a sign of protest, or a sign of culture. The flag can be taken down or changed by a majority vote from the people of the state, but not by the federal government, and not by a vocal minority of activists.

It is illegal to have legislation that discriminates by race, so states flying the flag are not miraculously enabled to bring back the Jim Crow laws. The only consequence left by flying the flag is people being offended, which is merely a byproduct of having an opinion.
Those who wish to keep the flag in museums fail to realize that history is not confined to by textbooks and glass cases. A people and their history are inseparable. All people should be proud of their own history, not because it is the paragon of moral righteousness, but because it is theirs.

1 Comment

Confederate flag: Pro