Spring football game fires up team for upcoming season

By Marcus Krum
@marcuskrum

After weeks of grueling practice in the early morning hours, an entire offseason of work culminated to the one annual spring game, showcasing the talent that the Coppell football team withholds in the upcoming year.

The game started out with the current starting offense and defense on the field. They started on their own 30 yard line, and ran a series of eight plays. The offense put together a solid drive, moving the chains five times, and ended up on the other 15 yard line.

The Coppell upcoming Varsity football team had a Spring game Thursday night at Coppell High School. The defense played the offense. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

After the second team came onto the field, the offensive line allowed two sacks in the first three plays run. However, a blown coverage led to freshman quarterback Brady McBride hitting a wide open junior wide receiver Jarel McGill for a 45 yard touchdown.

After the first team and second team both ran another series of eight plays without a score, Brandon Rice broke free and tiptoed down the sideline for the second score of the game.

“Well, we got to keep getting better but I was proud of our guys,” Coppell coach Mike DeWitt said. “They have been up early and on the field at 5:56 a.m. all spring. They hadn’t complained. I am fired up that it did not rain tonight and we got to get the game in. I am fired up we got out of it healthy.”

After this, both offenses ran plays starting at the 20 yard line in a red zone situation drill. McBride carried it in for a four yard score when his unit was on the field, and junior quarterback Myles Paschall completed a two yard touchdown pass across the middle to junior wide receiver Collin Briggs.

In the second half, the teams ran a simulated game with a running clock. On the first series, Paschall connected with junior wide receiver Obi Obialo for a for a 27-yard touchdown. In the final quarter of play, the only other score came when sophomore running back/kicker Bernardo Rodriguez ran nine yards to cap a long drive.

Sophomore Matthew Frappier and sophomore Preston Rutherford tackle opposing player during the Spring Game Thursday night at Coppell High School. The cowboys defense and offense scrimmaged against each other. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

“This was a good experience,” Paschall said. “Its my third sporing game of varsity and I think I learned a lot and going to be ready for next season.”

This game gave some key insight into the upcoming season, including with the situation at offensive line. Replacing all five starters next year, it is vital that the Cowboys have several underclassmen step into these roles immediately. After the first look at next year’s team, it seems as if they will.

“It is still a chance to evaluate and watch film,” Dewitt said. “And it is a good chance to learn and correct some mistakes. I think it is a good springboard for the summer. We’ll have a great summer and get ready for the Hebron Hawks.”