Mitchell, Echols advance to state track meet

By Marcus Krum

@marcuskrum

After feeling the joy of success at the 6A region 1 track meet on Saturday, May 2, several Coppell Cowboys, after placing highly, will be feeling the pressure of performing at the highest level of high school athletics: the state meet.

“Most of the pressure comes from how close all the top athletes are,” senior Marcus Mitchell said. “I feel as if the pressure helps to motivate me instead of distract me.” 

Senior Marcus Mitchell accepts his medal on the podium on March 1. Mitchell placed second in the triple jump, moving on to the state meet in Austin on May 14. Photo courtesy Karl Pointer.

At regionals, Mitchell kept the momentum from winning the district meet going, placing second in the triple jump with a jump of 48’1.25” in the finals, losing only to Plano East’s Michael Madu, who finished off with a jump of 49’0.5”.

Junior Collin Echols also finished in second place in discus, throwing it 178’8” in the final round. He, along with Mitchell, will be participating in the state meet in Austin on May 14 to 16.

In addition to Mitchell and Echols, Coppell gained points from top finishes from senior Esere Nesiama, who finished third in the pole vault, senior Sierra Andres, who came in third place in the 400 meter dash and senior Matt Difransesco, who got fourth place in the 100 meter dash.

On the guys side, the team finished in sixth place in the region, beating out top teams like Plano East and Allen.

“Having a state medal has always been the dream. Going to state, I’m seeded in fourth place with my jump from last week,” Mitchell said. “The other three ahead of me are all within a foot, so being that close to placing, if not first place, is all the motivation I need to push it these next two weeks up until state.”