Cowgirls battle back, even series

By Joseph Krum
@joseph_krum

Sophomore center fielder Mia Hermans focuses on the pitcher as she gets ready for her at-bat. Hermans scored a run in the 6-2 Cowgirl win. Phot by Kelly Monaghan.

Cheers were cried, smiles were worn and pictures were taken. After a 6-2 win against Midlothian to keep its playoff hopes alive, the Coppell Cowgirls softball team rejoiced in the moment, having extending its season at least one more game.

It all started in the first inning for Coppell. A triple by sophomore infielder Sami Thomas scored two runs and a double by sophomore catcher Madi Traver scored the third run of the inning, giving the Cowgirls an early 3-0 lead.

After a quiet second, third, and fourth inning, Midlothian hit two doubles to bring a runner home and cut the lead to two. In the fifth inning, they scored another run off of another double, closing the gap to one.

The Cowgirls responded later in the inning however, when freshman shortstop Logan Kegley hit a grounder to second and sophomore centerfielder Mia Hermans, scored from third, while sophomore third baseman Sami Thomas moved to third. Thomas then scored on the very next pitch after the catcher made a wild pickoff throw to third, and also moved Kegley all the way to third, which proved to be another great move for the Cowgirls. Kegley scored off of a groundout to third, giving the Cowgirls the 6-2 lead that they would hold onto for the win.

“It’s an awesome feeling,” CHS softball coach Katie Krug said. “The kids played well, they love each other and I could see it in how they played tonight.”

The win, which was necessary for the Cowgirls to not have to pack their bags for the season, came off of a 19-11 loss on April 30 at Workman Softball Complex in Arlington. Sophomore pitcher Rachel Sheffield, who pitched the whole game last night, thought that the loss made the win even sweeter.

“It feels great, especially after the tough loss last night,” Sheffield said. “We all just really wanted to come out and get the win tonight. Pitching was definitely stressful at first, but it was just a great feeling getting the win at home with all of our fans supporting us.”

Sheffield hopes that the team can keep its momentum and use it for the game tomorrow, where the winner moves on and the loser gets sent home.

“The momentum from this game will hopefully help us out tomorrow,” Sheffield said. “We’ll have to wake up early, but I think we’ll still be feeling good after the win and keep that going into tomorrow.”

The Cowgirl softball team cheer on their teammates on March 1 at the Coppell baseball/softball Complex. The game, a 6-2 Cowgirl win, evened the playoff series with Midlothian. Photo by Kelly Monaghan.