New laws restrict cell phone usage for teens on the road

By Gaby Moran

Three things considered essential by teenagers are a car, a late curfew and a cell phone with unlimited text messaging. Many think they can rule the world with just these, but when the three are combined, the situation can get deadly.  

According to Edgar Snyder & Associates, law firm in Pennsylvania, statistics show using a cell phone or text messaging while driving contributes to 21 percent of fatal car crashes each year involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19. This result is estimated to grow as much as four percent every year.  Even with the knowledge that cell usage and driving is a bad combination, teenagers still do it.

“What kids do not realize is that their actions impact others,” Dean of Instruction Gina Peddy said. “I believe that if they watch this video, they will have a better understanding of that.”

In the small town of Gwent, England, the local police department developed a new public service announcement video to show teenagers the effects of texting and driving. The video is very graphic, but it shows a negative example of what can happen when using technology while on the road.

“I think that not just kids, but all drivers need to see it and realize that it is reality and it can happen to anyone,” assistant principal Sean Bagley said.

The video starts with three girls in a car with the driver texting and not paying attention to the road.  Her car crashes head on into another car and causes a fatal accident. It shows a very horrific scene with the teens being tossed around the car with glass and blood flying everywhere.

After the crash is over, it shows what happens to all the characters. The driver’s friends die next to her while a child in the car she crashed into cannot get either of her parents to wake up and in a third car affected by the crash, a baby dies with its eyes still open.

The British government made this video a requirement for teenage drivers or about to be driving in the country. As of now, the video has not yet been aired on U.S. television but it can be viewed on YouTube.

“This video can change the way people drive for the better and I believe that the new laws will help enforce it too,” assistant principal Steve Glover said.

Knowing the risks involved with texting while driving, the Texas driving laws have changed.

“I think that these new laws are going to help keep a lot more kids my age safe,” sophomore Colin Ruska said. “While a lot of people hate them now, I think they will understand their good impact on us later.”

These new laws state while riding in a car, no matter where you are sitting or your age, every occupant must wear a seatbelt or the driver can receive a fine up to $200. No one younger than 18 can use a hand held cell phone while driving and no one of any age can use a hand held cellular device in school zones unless car is stopped.

“I agree that the new law will make the roads safer, but it is an inconvenience to many drivers,” senior Morgan Peccarelli said. “I won’t be 18 until April and it’s going to be hard to realize I cannot call people even though I have been doing it for a year and a half now without having to worry about getting a ticket.”

Some new rules of the road are that drivers under the age of 18 cannot be on the road between midnight and 5 a.m. In addition, the rule that allowed only one other person besides family members in the car for beginner drivers for six months has now been raised to one year.

“It is really dumb because kids could be stuck in a bad situation, but they cannot leave because they don’t want to risk getting an [after hours] ticket,” sophomore Mattie Daily said.

Other rules regarding teenagers who are taking driver’s ed must do in-car instruction for 32 hours, 18 more hours than before, and must now pass the mandatory on-the-road test.

“I do not see the point of adding more hours when all the other age groups ahead of us only had to do 14 hours and are fine drivers,” freshman Joon Im said. “It is like they are doubling the homework when it is not needed.”

All laws went into effect on Sept. 1.