Update: Board of Trustees Meeting Feb. 26, 2015

Coppell Independent School District held their board of trustees meeting Thursday night. A group of select Coppell high school band students are recognized for being top and outstanding soloist. Photo by Chelsea banks

Allie Arnold
student life editor
@_alliearnold

Coppell Independent School District held their board of trustees meeting Thursday night. Board member Anthony Hill talks with Coppell high school band director Scott Mason after a few of his musicians and recognized. Photo by Chelsea banks

Outstanding student recognition and important updates on Coppell Independent School District’s academic progress, as well as staff experience in comparison to that of all teachers in the state over the past years ,were brought to the board’s attention last night at the Board of Trustee’s meeting.

The night began with an introduction of the academic all-state band students who excelled in not only competing in an award winning band and orchestra, but maintaining an impressive grade point average.

The head band director, Scott Mason, spoke a few words about his students and the pride he takes in their hard work. He went on to say that this year marks the 10th year in a row that Coppell High School has had the most academic all-staters for band and orchestra in the state of Texas with an impressive 19 students.

Multiple football players were also recognized last night for their achievement as an academic all-state recipient. Head football coach Mike Dewitt spoke on behalf of the young men last night, explaining how impressive it is to balance a sport that occupies a lot of after-school time and maintain a solid GPA.

“We always tell our boys that football doesn’t last forever, so it’s important to get an education, and these young men are great models of that,” Dewitt said.

After all recognitions and awards were given, the board was presented with statistics on CISD’s progress in all areas of the district.

All of the schools in the district met the standard requirements for education quality overall, and scores have increased quite a bit from previous years in all ethnicities.

Percentages were also presented representing the experience of the faculty and staff of CISD compared to that of teachers in other districts all throughout the state. The data showed that in comparison to many other districts, Coppell has several experienced and qualified teachers for the job, putting CISD ahead in terms of the quality education they are receiving.

CIDS’s safety ratings were also quite impressive, seeing as they did not have any marks of concern on any of the areas presented.

The only area that saw a bit of a decline were the STAAR test scores for third graders. However, the board considered the fact that it was just because it was the first time a 9-year-old ever had to take a test that could last up to four hours long. However, the board will continue to keep an eye on the subject to make sure it is not something to be concerned about.