HOSA members travel to leadership conference; 10 advance to state

By Kelly Monaghan

Photographer

@kellyymonaghan

KellyHOSAConferenceJan31
CHS HOSA club members stand together after the Area III Spring Leadership Conference on Jan. 31. Ten students qualified for the state conference later this year in Dallas.

Ten Coppell High School Future Health Professionals are moving on to the state level.

High school Health Professionals of America members, including CHS, in Area III of Texas attended and competed in the Spring Leadership Conference on Jan. 30-31. This year’s state qualifiers to the state competition in Dallas on April 9-11 at the Anatole Hotel.

The conference was hosted by Jack E. Singley Academy in Irving with the opening and closing ceremonies at the Irving Convention Center. The officer nominating committee meeting and officer credentialing was held in the Sheraton DFW Airport Hotel.

HOSA students compete in conferences all across America each year. The organization promotes leadership qualities as well as other qualities necessary for the Health Science Education instructional program.

“The club offers several different positions,” CHS sophomore Pranga Gaddamedi said. “There are officer spots as well as opportunities for other club members. HOSA members can often volunteer at different events as a way to get experience.”

Every year leadership conferences are held as a way to bring many HOSA members from different schools together to compete and work.

Leadership conferences give students the opportunity to compete in events like biomedical debate and researched persuasive speaking. Categories receive new topics every year depending on current events. This year’s topics ranged from e-cigarettes to regular cigarette comparisons and concussion prevention. There are 13 total events for HOSA members to compete in at conferences.

Last year, current CHS sophomore Neha Kodali competed as a part of the biomedical debate team with seniors Nikhil Shah, Nikhil Keserla and Dev Thimmisetty. The team placed third at state along with the medical spelling competitor junior Pooja Marella.

“There is a lot of work that goes into competitions for HOSA,” Kodali said. “The amount of work that needs to be done outside of school varies on the event but my group met up twice a week for two hours at a time for a month leading up to competition.”

Preparing for conferences can be stressful for many members, but the hard work pays off when a group advances to state, and from there, a chance at nationals.

“Competing last year was really fun. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about a field I’m passionate about. I honestly miss competing this year but I’m so glad I got to partake my freshman year,” Kodali said.

Kodali decided not to participate this year because of how much time preparing took up last year. This also gave her the opportunity to explore different aspects of the club.

Although much of the conference revolves around these events, not every HOSA member is involved in competitions. Students who choose not to compete have several options when attending conferences. There are various activities and workshops for members to participate in.

“Workshops range from leadership activities to early morning zumba,” senior HOSA co-president Shebani Patel said. “There are also recognition events to partake in like scrapbook and volunteering.”