Update: Board of Trustees Meeting Jan. 12, 2014

By Jena Seidemann
Managing Editor
@jena_seidemann

Sophomore Yearbook member, Erin Dempsey's, photo of Eric Loop gained and Honorable Mention Award for the Portrait photography category at the NSPA/JEA (national high school journalism) convention, which was held in Washington D.C. Her work was chosen among hundreds of applicants. Photo courtesy Erin Dempsey.
Sophomore Yearbook member, Erin Dempsey’s, photo of Eric Loop gained and Honorable Mention Award for the Portrait photography category at the NSPA/JEA (national high school journalism) convention, which was held in Washington D.C. Her work was chosen among hundreds of applicants. Photo courtesy Erin Dempsey.

Three significant changes were discussed and unanimously passed at the Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 12, 2014 that would expedite the current

student registration system and New Tech@Coppell’s student selection process. The updates are expected to be implemented in the later part of the second semester and the 2015-2016 year.

However, prior to discussing business, district wide campus Teachers of the Year, Coppell High School Madrigals, CHS Round-Up yearbook sophomore Erin Dempsey and the School Board were recognized for their contributions to the district and within their respective areas.

The Madrigals performed at the White House in December while Dempsey was recognized for being an honorable mention in the Portrait Photography Category at the 2014 JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention, which was held in Washington D.C. Dempsey was chosen among thousands of photographers for her work. As for the school board, January is School Board appreciation month.

Middle School Soccer Program

The board also unanimously voted to run a pilot program of middle school soccer. The strictly after school, six week program will start at the end of track season (mid April through May) and will cost a little over $$50,000.

Costs will be divided into thirds for each campus to pay the employees and cover costs for equipment, transportation and officials. Participants will not have to pay Pay to Play but will need the other necessary athletic paperwork.

For the past five to six years, there has been some discussion within the community to endorse such a program. It was not until recently that the push from parents and students led to Coppell Independent School District’s Athletic Director, John Crawford, to formulate a preliminary plan, and should this be successful and garner a large turnout, the school board would continue the program. However, the new program would be under review by the school board at the end of it’s inaugural season.

“I was approached last spring by the board members to investigate [the demand for a middle school soccer program] and bring forth a proposal, which we have done,” Crawford said.

Other districts around the area such as Frisco, Keller and Grapevine have invested into these types of programs, and although the plans are at a very early stage of development, Coppell, along with Southlake, would be one of the newer districts to join the trend.

“What we are looking at is a six week program beginning in mid April and running through the latter part of May, where we would practice and make team selections and placements during the first week, week and a half and begin playing games after that,” Crawford said. “It would probably be a four game schedule.”

Those four games can be with other school districts, but interdistrict play would not deter the athletic department from further pursuing this avenue. Ideally, Crawford would want to join Southlake and Grapevine, should they decide to compete against one another.

Practice will be entirely after school at their respective locations. However, matches will be under the lights of Coppell Middle School North and Coppell Middle School West.

Since the season would start within three weeks of spring football and middle school coaches are already stretched thin, Crawford hopes someone within the district and preferably someone on the individual campuses that has the knowledge, skill and interest in the sport, will volunteer to take on the position, one for a boys team and one for a girls team at all three schools.

The two high school coaches, Chad Rakestraw (boys) and Chris Stricker (girls), would oversee the programs. However, should coaches for the team not be found, they would have to step in and take more responsibility.

The program would allow more development for youth soccer players as they head into high school, while forming stronger relationships with the coaches.

Crawford realizes the initial start up cost is a hefty tag upon the athletic funds but that the cost will level out in the coming years, and it could benefit and continue the success of the high school programs.

“Well it is a substantial amount of money, but you have to understand that it is broken down into several different categories and it is closer to $50,000 rather  than $60,000,” Crawford said. “The other side of it is, after the initial start up cost, the budget will deeply decrease, should this go past the pilot year.”

Whatever costs occur for officials, transportation and other miscellaneous costs in the coming years, the district will absorb.

New Tech@Coppell’s new selection process for incoming freshmen

Similar to the registration system, the selection process for New Tech@Coppell students will also get a facelift. Should over 150 learners apply (not including legacy) to New Tech, a lottery will be held through a random generator.

The two parent meetings are still required between the end of January to mid February (Jan. 27., Feb. 3, 9, 11, 17 and 19) at 6:30 p.m. in the New Tech@Coppell Cafeteria, and applications are due March 4. On March 6., at 8 a.m., Random.org will be the third party source in which the 150 names will be chosen for the finalized student list. As soon as they are selected, the list of names will be posted on the campus door. March and April will bring orientation for incoming freshmen and their parents.

District and New Tech@Coppell Administration are hoping the process will be more efficient for learners, parents and faculty, while minimizing costs. It is only $7 for each lottery made.

New district student registration system to work in conjunction with old

As for the new and improved student registration system, the hope is to have a more efficient system that allows more flexibility for parents. Twenty districts across Texas have already implemented the system. Locally, Frisco, Irving and Denton ISDs have seen the positive effects from the program.

One of the benefits will be the new capability to upload important school documents and bilingual features. Parents will also  be able to have quick and easy assistance on the ins and outs of the system from their mobile device and personal customization.

Although it will not be a grading system, the old and new program will work in conjunction and will hopefully consolidate as many parts of the old system. The new system will allow parents to answer a set of questions, which will customize the program to fit their needs.  It will be implemented within 60 days.