Yakubovsky honored for STEM achievement at CISD board meeting

By Pranathi Chitta
staff writer
@prannydacheetah

Coppell High School STEM coordinator Mike Yakubovsky has been awarded with the National Instruments 2014 Excellence

Yakubovsky honored for STEM achievement at CISD board meeting. Photo by Pranathi Chitta.

in Engineering Education Award. Yakubovsky was recognized by the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees on Monday.

“It’s special to me because it speaks to the school board, district and [CHS Principal Mike Jasso] because they gave me the

opportunity to do this,” Yakubovsky said.

There are only two high school teachers awarded with this reward – Yakubovsky and a teacher in China.

Board recognizes national merit semifinalists

The CISD Board of Trustees invited the Coppell High School-record 24 National Merit semifinalists to attend Monday’s meeting. Each semifinalist had a chance to talk about their journey to getting the award, their plans for the future and who inspired them.

“I would like to thank my parents for getting on my case to study and kind of pushing me to take a lot of practice tests,” senior Mehul Gore said. “But also in this journey I have learned a lot and I would like to thank Coppell High School for giving me these opportunities.”

Senior Mustafa Neemuchwala talks about his journey to being a National Merit Semifinalist. Photo by Pranathi Chitta.

Frieder awarded with Education Heroes for Children award

On Saturday in Austin, Coppell volunteer Nicole Frieder was awarded the State Board of Education Heroes for Children Award for her work on the School Health Advisory council. Fifteen teachers are awarded in the state for their time, effort and commitment to students.

For the past four to five years, Frieder and former Coppell High School assistant principal Sherri Hankins promoted the wellbeing of health in order to achieve students’ education.

“[Frieder] has been very diligent in understanding what SHAC is all about,” Coppell ISD Board President Anthony Hill said.

New Tech High recognized for Apple distinction and New Tech Network Award

Dr. Leanne Shivers received the award on behalf of New Tech High@Coppell for Apple Distinction and the New Tech Network award.

“This really shows the facilitator and student dedication,” Shivers said.

Shivers explained how the awards were due to curriculum instructors coming in to help and support New Tech with different things and help to cultivate new ideas.

Briefly

Students who did not pass the STAAR EOC last school year will be getting one-on-one instruction or a review on BlackBoard to improve their score….This past summer, students who did not pass the 2014 STAAR EOC attended sessions four days a week for four hours a day in order to pass that subject’s EOC….Five waivers will be passed for grades kindergarten to fourth grade in order to maximize class size….Three waivers will go to three sections at Town Center Elementary. One waiver will go

to Denton Creek Elementary. The last waiver will go to Lakeside Elementary….Because of the 100 violations of the Stop-Arm of school buses, Coppell ISD will adopt the Stop-Arm Camera Resolution with Dallas County Schools. Stop-Arm Cameras will be attached to the Stop-Arm of school buses in order to catch those who do not stop when the Stop-Arm is shown.