Coppell Arts and Music Festival to showcase local talent

By Sloane Samberson

When it comes to talent, the city of Coppell has plenty of it. Local artists, dancers, vocalists and musicians will be gathering at Town City Plaza in Coppell to show off their artistic talents May 24 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

This free event will have a variety of events occurring while artists showcase their work. There will be food and drinks, beach volleyball, fiber art, Zumba, jugglers, raffles, sidewalk chalk and a cake walk.

“We are hoping the artists there will bring art they have created to sell, and musicians the music they have produced,” Coppell High School IB economics teacher Donnette Alexander said.

T-shirt design by Sagar Ramesh.
T-shirt design by Sagar Ramesh.

Alexander is excited about the live artwork featured at the festival. Artists will create paintings and sculptures right in front of a live audience, showing viewers what it takes to create masterpieces.

There will be student run clubs from Coppell High School at the festival collecting money to be donated to two non-profit organizations of their choice.

“Kiva, the micro financing club here at CHS, is designed to help people in developing countries start businesses. They loan money to people, then later on they pay off these loans. We hope by doing this, it will raise their standard of living,” Alexander said.

I Dare To B, is the other CHS club attending the festival. The group exists in order to make IB student relationships better because not all students connect easily when in the IB program.

“IB students will be attending the festival in order to bring creativity and service to the community. By doing this we will earn CAS (creativity, action and service) hours, to get credit as IB students. All IB students must earn CAS hours by participating in projects that encompass creativity and service,” I Dare To B president Amir Javeri said.

Designed by junior Sagar Ramesh, T-shirts will be sold at stands around festival grounds.

“The T-shirt design incorporates significant icons of both art and music. For example, the word ‘Art’ in the logo is composed of artistic utensils,” Ramesh said. “When closely examined, there is a pencil and a paintbrush that creates the ‘A’ in ‘Art’. For the word ‘Music’, there is a similar incorporation of musical elements; the ‘M’ is made of an eighth note and a treble clef replaces the ‘s.’”

If you are looking to audition for the festival you can sign up here. Auditions are being held April 26 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at CHS. Dancers will audition in the small gym, musicians in the choir room and the vocalists in the lecture hall.  The holding area for those auditioning will be located in the commons.

1